PDA

View Full Version : Triton Router will be on sale.

Steven Bolton
12-26-2007, 2:05 PM
I noticed that Woodcraft will soon have the Triton 2 and 1/4 hp router for 189.99.

I have read good things about it. Anyone have first hand info. In particular I would like to know how it compares to the Porter Cable 890s if anyone knows.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

glenn bradley
12-26-2007, 2:39 PM
You'll get responses here but just do a search on 'Triton Router Review'. Most folks love 'em. Some say its great but wouldn't want it as their only router (there is a learning curve for the euro-style controls. I need a plunge and that may just be the ticket, thanks.

P.s. My dad has one in his RT and really likes it.

Jack Ganssle
12-26-2007, 3:58 PM
I have one and use it in the RT and hand-held. It's a great tool that comes with a lot of useful adjuncts.

The plastic case it comes in is enormous and I'm thinking about building a shop out of it.

Jack

Robert foster
12-26-2007, 5:33 PM
Stuart Lees has done a podcast on it. It can be found at Stu's Shed.

Bob

Steven Bolton
12-26-2007, 5:49 PM
Thanks. I live those podcasts.

Steve Bolton

Steven Bolton
12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Does anyone care to compare the Triton to the Porter Cable 890?

Steve Bolton

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-27-2007, 8:21 AM
Does anyone care to compare the Triton to the Porter Cable 890?

Steve Bolton

I'm guessing you mean the Triton 3.25 HP big dog?

The Triton's hand winder makes if nice for table work 'cause you can skip the router lift. Of course this means you have to stick your hand under the table to operate it but I like it just fine.

The Triton's collet is pathetic the threads are coarse and poorly cut ( they grind) The collet itself has one thru slit to let it grip the shank. This is a shabby unsophisticated design that a hight school shop student might use for a jury rigged thing he didn't expect to use forever. That said, I haven't tossed a bit yet.

The PC collet is the apotheosis of sophistication in router collets. It's superb.

The triton is noisier

Both are strong.

The PC is a better balanced machine in the hand ( but in the table this is meaningless)

The plastic crap that Triton put on their router is pure worthless garbage. The so called adjustable multi position stop is pure trash you'll throw it away almost immediately. The rod stop is metal but the impinging screw that locks in in place hasn't got the moxi to hold it in place. Mine keeps falling off from vibration. When it falls out I am digging through the dust for the little brass plug they use to prevent scoring the rod.

Did I mention the thing vibrates lots more than the PC?

The PC unit looks better. The Triton looks silly.

Triton in Homer's "Illiad" was a screwy dark character with a penchant for molesting children and dumping their carcasses in the depths of the ocean. Yah, who would name a company after such a creature? Maybe the folks in Australia don't read much classical stuff~? Well, in their defense, it's not all that obvious from just a casual reading you gotta actually study the Greek Classics to get it.

On the other hand Porter Cable has no unsavory historical baggage at all. So if you have the PC the neighborhood Literary Classicist with her PhD who also happens to be a soccer mom won't be worrying about her kids. But get the triton and - - well - - watch out. She may glare at your house as she rolls her minivan past your place. Of course you could simply not tell her. Then all would be peachy.

The PC is pricier.

The Triton is a table router. I have used mine in my hand only using the initial honeymoon when I wanted to see how it'd feel and work. Then - - never again.

For $200 it is a pretty good, heavy, unstoppable table router.

In my hand I'd prefer the PC, Ridged, Bosch almost any one maybe but not the big Haitaichi or the Triton.

Steven Bolton
12-27-2007, 8:35 PM
Actually I was referring to the smaller Triton. I did enjoy your comments. I would be looking for a table router only.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Monroe Brown
12-27-2007, 9:07 PM
I have both the 3.25 and the 2.25. The bigger model sits in the router table and does not come out. A real bear that one. Plows through anything with good Whiteside bits. Superb dust collection built in to the base.

The 2.25 is new to my shop and has only been used a few times for some dadoes and edge trimming. Noisy but nice controls and easy to manipulate.

Regards,

kmb