PDA

View Full Version : My first box project.

Matt Crew
12-26-2007, 1:52 PM
Well I've mostly been lurking here for a few years now, and I finally have something to post.
My LOML is good for picking someone in the family to give the box inside a box inside a box treatment for Christmas, so I thought it was her turn, but I did it woodworkers style.
I made a small fingerjoint box with hinged lid, a medium size fingerjoint box with a sliding lid, and a larger frame and raised panel box each fitting inside the other with the real prize inside the small box.
This was my first attempt at box making of any kind, alot of leasons learned with this project.
I didn't get them finished ( I told her it was so she could pick out the kind of finish she wanted ). Truth is the larger box came out of the clamps Chrstmas eve mourning, so I didn't have time.
I had to take the pictures with my cell phone so they did not turn out well at all. I hope I can get them uploaded as this is my first time to post pictures.
All advise is welcome.
Thank you, Matt.

Lee Schierer
12-26-2007, 2:51 PM
The boxes look pretty nice from here. It will be great to see them finished. Learing from each project is how we get from beginner to accomplished. Rare is the project I don't learn something from.

The trouble is remembering the lesson the next time, at least for me. :D

keith ouellette
12-26-2007, 3:17 PM
Practice staining on something else first. It seems to be the hardest part to me. The boxes look good in the pictures. What kind of wood?

Carroll Courtney
12-26-2007, 3:52 PM
Nice job Matt,I like the bevel edge on the bigger box.The finger joints are equally good also.

Matt Crew
12-26-2007, 6:30 PM
Thank you,

They are all made out of red oak.
I don't have a planer, so I bought it already sized at the borge.
The large box has fairly well matched wood as far as color goes.
The smaller boxes have light and dark wood, so I used the darker pieces for the front, back and bottom, and lighter pieces for ends and top.
It actually has a nice look.
I'll try to take better pictures after I'm done finishing them.

Kieth, I have the same problem, so I will practice on some scraps I have left over.

Rick Gifford
12-26-2007, 6:47 PM
I think it would look good with a few coats of tung oil.