PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations from the frequent handplane users

Don Morris
12-26-2007, 1:52 PM
My son and I were lamenting the fact we don't have the new Lie Nielsen low angle block plane a while back while we were in front of LOML. She didn't realize that we were talking about the low angle block JOINTER (20" difference). I already have a small low angle block plane I inherited from LOML's father, a Swedish cabinet maker (which is why she's wwer wise and picked up on the posible XMAS gift). So on her own she called Lie Nielsen and ordered the Low Angle block plane #102 for Xmas. I thought that was absolutely fabulous of her, but neither of us want to get rid of her fathers old Stanley so she said just go ahead and get any other handplane to replace the #102. I have a reasonable aray of handplanes including a LN #7. I don't have a shoulder plane and felt I could have used one often. Do you frequent users use shoulder planes? I end up in situations where I think I would like to dress up or work a shoulder/dado and wish I had one and then I think, should I get a small one, medium or large one. Right now I've got a free pass on whatever I want. Recommendations please!!!

John Dykes
12-26-2007, 2:03 PM
I hear it's pretty useful - some say one of the top 4 used. Figure I need to get one as I do considerable M\T joinery, but I don't own one... Yet.

I ordered the medium LN from Woodcraft on the 24th. It's on sale for $160 (usually $175?) - and they are also giving $20 gift card for purchases over $100.

So - in theory, the plane will end up costing $140. Figure it's a good deal...

What LN plane to buy? It's a good problem to have.

Regards,
jbd

Marcus Ward
12-26-2007, 2:06 PM
Yes, a shoulder plane is incredibly useful. I use mine all the time. I would definitely pick one up. I've got the large veritas model and love it but I'm sure the LN would be just as useful.

Charlie Mastro
12-26-2007, 2:08 PM
Large shoulder plane, period.:cool:

Richard Niemiec
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I've got the LN large sholder plane, and the LV medium. Both are great and have been steadily used. If I were only to have one, I'd go with the LN medium to get started with, handy to clean up bottoms of 3/4 dadoes, etc. and still good for tenons. RN

Zahid Naqvi
12-27-2007, 2:22 PM
I have a Clifton 310, and I agree with other poster, shoulder planes are indeed very useful. Not as versatile as a block plane, they do one job but they do it really well. The Veritas medium shoulder is very popular and I am sure the LN equivalent is as good.

Wilbur Pan
12-27-2007, 3:38 PM
If you're looking for a shoulder plane, I'd go with the large size (1.25") rather than the medium (3/4") size. The added stability for cleaning up tenons will be appreciated, and if you are interested in cleaning up the bottoms of a groove or a dado, a router plane is better suited for this purpose.

Besides, if you get a medium shoulder plane, this takes away the excuse you'll need to get another tool, which is never a good move. ;)

Mike Cutler
12-27-2007, 4:14 PM
Yep. A shoulder plane is pretty much a standard item in the shop.
I have the LN medium, and a few woodies. They get used often. When I'm actually making something that is.

Ken Werner
12-28-2007, 9:27 AM
I have a LV med shoulder, and find it very useful. Cleans up rabbets, tenons, and even for making a fielded panel. PS nice stealth gloat for the Mrs.

Marcus Ward
12-28-2007, 9:50 AM
I agree that a router plane cleans up dados better than a shoulder plane. A shoulder plane can accidentally cut the dado deeper without meaning to while a router plane will go to a fixed depth and then not cut anymore. Plus it give you an excuse to buy a router plane. :)

Andrew Williams
12-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I use the LV medium shoulder plane often. One plane I would recommend from LN is the large scraper plane (112). It works great at removing a lot of material in the case of flattening a glue-up panel that won't behave with ordinary planes. An aggressive hook on the blade will make it very good at heavy stock removal and yet not tear the wood out, especially useful in the case of most woods I have been working with lately. We seem to be quickly running out of "straight-grained" woods. This is nice since the wood is more interesting to look at, but the downside is that I tend to reach for higher angle planes and scrapers to deal with faces of woods that are not considered "figured".