PDA

View Full Version : Another bowl...still got a lot to learn

Mark Singer
02-23-2004, 4:11 PM
Here is a mahogany bowl I turned this is a little bigger then the last...I am getting better but still need lots of practice :rolleyes:

Wolf Kiessling
02-23-2004, 8:02 PM
Here is a mahogany bowl I turned this is a little bigger then the last...I am getting better but still need lots of practice :rolleyes:

You used a really good looking chunk of wood, Mark. Only criticism I can offer at this time is that the external curve should have been made a little more curvaceous (?) (the curve made fairer?) The internal curve looks okay from what I make out on the picture but could have been cut in a little deeper. That might be a little difficult for you at this stage, however, but you'll get the hang of it. Keep at it, Bubba; you're getting there....

Robert Ducharme
02-23-2004, 9:14 PM
Being totally ignorant of the spirtual aspect of bowl turning or shapes, I think it is great as it is. Looks like a perfect size to load up with M&M with peanuts.

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Yeah, ditto to what Robert said, Mark! Just load it up (I prefer the peanut M&M's) and send it on over! :D Really, it appears to me you're a quick study! Keep it up, my friend. You're doing just fine! :cool:

Jim Young
02-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Looks great Mark. If you don't like people touching it don't take it to work and set it on your desk. I took one of my bowls to work and it seems everyone as to touch it. I don't mind. Maybe one day someone will pay me to make them one. :D

Mark Singer
02-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks guys,
I am trying to get the next one a little thinner....we shall see?
Mark

Jim Becker
02-24-2004, 8:47 AM
Nice job, Mark. Beautiful piece of wood, too.

My initial reaction is the same as Wolf's, although it must be said that shape is a very subjective thing in art and there is no "rule" that says that the inside needs to match the outside! That being said, you might want to spin up some scrap on the lathe and turn away with the goal of making constant thickness on whatever object(s) result(s). Vary the curves to make it even more challenging. Don't worry about making fine finished pieces...this exercise is purely to condition yourself. And even wall thickness can be a big advantage on an ornery piece of wood that is prone to splitting.