PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw help (DW713 related)

M Smith
12-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Wanted to bounce an idea off those here who are much more knowledgeable than I on topics such as this. Last year I bought a miter saw (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921231000P?keyword=miter+saw&filter=Brand%7CCraftsman&vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Miter+Saws). It's a Craftsman, and looked decent at the time. I am on a budget so I can't afford top of the line equipment. I don't use it a lot as I have a table saw where I can do miters as well, but it is a handy tool to have for some things. Well, I got as a gift a Dewalt DW713 miter saw (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=17173). My dilemna now is should I return the Dewalt for something else I don't have (bandsaw, eg), or keep it if it is indeed a superior saw? Any one have any experience or knowledge of the DW713? Is it worth keeping?

Thanks everyone!

Mark

Roy Hatch
12-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Mark, I have an older model, DW705, which is a 12" saw and it has served me well and I expect many others have had similar experiences with DeWalt miter saws. However, if your current Craftsman satisfies your needs, I think you might consider keeping it and return the DeWalt for something that you need.

You mention being on a budget. You should get full value if you return the DeWalt which is a rare position when disposing of a tool. If, in the future, you decide you need a larger or better miter saw, you can look at what the market has to offer.

I too will be interested to see what others suggest.

Roy

Thomas Knighton
12-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I agree with Roy. If you're happy with the Craftsman, then keep it and trade in the Dewalt and get something you need. However, I'd say if the Craftsman disappoints you in any somewhat significant amount, then keep the Dewalt and sell the Craftsman.

Just my $.02

Tom

Dan Barr
12-26-2007, 6:08 PM
I agree as well.

If i had two of anything i would immediately liquidate and get something i needed and didnt have one of.

ciao,

dan

M Smith
12-26-2007, 7:19 PM
Thanks guys -- sounds like good advice. I don't use the miter saw terribly much, and I do have other things I "need." I'll probably return it and get something else.

Mark

John-Paul Murphy
12-26-2007, 8:02 PM
Mark,
I agree with all said. If you don’t use the miter saw by all means get something you would use. I am curious though. I use the miter box as much as the table saw. Dove tail joints and the like are done by hand so the table saw has been relegated to those tasks which it does so well cutting anything that won’t fit in the miter box, ripping boards and panels and the occasional tenon or dado. IMHO the miter box is much more accurate than the table saw. Are you unhappy with the craftsman? My second question (and most important) would be if I did not have a good quality miter saw what tool would I buy??

p.s. I had a 713 until someone decided they needed it worse than I…I am sure it is serving them as well now as it once served me.
If you do decide to keep both check out this post
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=342931#post342931