PDA

View Full Version : ouch- my toe! AND the 140

Robert Trotter
12-26-2007, 9:49 AM
I have been making the base for my new workbench and the tennons are quite big. I had a little cleaning up and adjusting to do so had been using my LN 140. But the shouldere are quite wide which meant I was not able to get a good grip on the 140. Everything was going well until I bashed my knuckles on the shoulder of the tennon and the 140 slipped and headed south. AHHHHHH! I got my foot out (yes, I'll put my foot out for the 140:D ) which took most of the momentum off but it still landed on the concrete afterwards. It didn't seem to hit very hard more of a belly-flop and appeared OK until I tried to use it again.:eek:

The toe section must have taken the small bump and it is out a fraction. The toe sits up off the wood just a hair.

What should I do?

hold the 140 upsidedown and give the front knob a couple of gentle taps on a bit of softwood to try and twist it back just that little bit?

Or do I have to flatten the whole sole again? I thnk it will remove a lot of material (relatively speaking) and when I put the side plate back on, the plate would tend to twist the plane back to line up with the holes. So I thought maybe a couple of gentle taps to see what happens????

Any advice would be very welcome.

Louis Rucci
12-26-2007, 9:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I have no recommendation on how to fix the plane, but may I suggest you purchase a floor mat from Woodcraft.

I believe they're less that $10.00. Great insurance in case anything similar happen again.

P.S. That's one reason I'm laying down a wooden floor in my shop. I'm going to use floor underlayment panels.

Robert Trotter
12-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Louis, I am in the later stages of a double project; my small shed and the bench. I was planning of rubber cushioning mats, just not to that stage yet. The shed is done (exterior) but I am working on the interior and getting the bench made so that I can fit the mats and shelves etc.

Timing...

Robert

Don C Peterson
12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I would suggest calling Lie Nielsen and asking them what can be done. In my experience they are always eager to help.

Brian Kent
12-26-2007, 11:51 AM
What Don said!

Robert Trotter
12-27-2007, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will contact LN.

Robert

Marcus Ward
12-27-2007, 7:17 AM
You know how when you're watching a movie and a guy gets hit in the jewels and all the men in the room cringe? That's what I did when I read your post about dropping your 140. Ouch!! I hope you get it back up to snuff soon.