PDA

View Full Version : New Newbies

Jum Carr
12-26-2007, 6:49 AM
Hi All;

Hi and a most happy holiday season from a couple new newbies! For the past month or so we've been eagerly trying to soak up some of the nearly overwhelming real-world data on this forum. Wish there'd been something like this years ago when we first read about "sawgrass" and "sublimation" and how an inkjet printer and "special inks" could turn out gifts, t-shirts, etc. Cheaply. And in color! We were hooked by "cheap" and "color"!

At the time, wife Dorothy had a dog grooming shop which we sold five yeas ago after 28 years - and I was working nights for an airline. Because grooming equipment maintenance was expensive and slow I began servicing our own and other shop's equipment which lead to a nice little side line. Then a friend with a small glass and crystal etching business was stricken with cancer and offered us the equipment and customer list. After some quick lessons in crystal, glass and sand blasting, we found ourselves with a well established animal grooming "salon" and two growing "avocations". We discussed my leaving the airline but for the usual reasons - fear actually - I stayed on. Until one night, topping a small hill on the way home at around 70, dead center in my lane with lights out, sat a black '46 chevy sedan! Thanks to a great car and a stint of dirt track racing, I ended up along side the freeway - shookup, furious and considering homicide. The next day I left a high pay job and 135 mile daily commute for a better chance of a longer life. I've never regretted leaving and often wished I'd done so years earlier. So much for fear and "security".

And with that brief bio we jump the the present. Over the years we've developed excellent relations and a niche market of social and fraternal organizations. And since moving to our present location, we've enjoyed an expanded customer base and requests for more and different products and services. Accordingly, we'll be adding new- for us - laser engraved items.

So now, and with heartfelt thanks to forum members, we should have our new 35 watt Epilog Mini 18 sometime in late January. We've also ordered an exhaust blower and air assist compressor so they'll be on hand for the "great day". And hoping to get a jump ahead we've subscribed to Laser University and a couple industry pubs for light reading in case we get bored. So all in all, I guess we're about as ready for the "great day" as newbies can be. Maybe, after all these years avoiding it, we'll even update and try to learn Corel X3!

But whatever success we may enjoy in laser engraving will be due in great extent to the "real world" experience and advice passed on by the forum members. And someday we hope to be able to return the favor by welcoming and helping "newbies" like us.

Also, after several aborted starts, maybe we can start thinking of a web site. At this point it almost seems that learning Greek or Chinese might be easier than tackling websites!

Again, our thanks and wishes for the happiest of holidays, and a most prosperous New Year.

Jim & Dorothy Carr

Frank Corker
12-26-2007, 7:45 AM
Welcome to the forum Dorothy and Jim. You are going to love it. The laser is probably the greatest (toy) piece of equipment anyone can purchase. You have chosen a really good working machine to get you going as well. I wish you both every success for the future and I'll look forward to seeing you progress.

There has already been quite a bit posted about the fors and againsts on the website thing. Use the search facility to check on some of the posts. I left with the opinion that the website is an excellent way to display your wares and show what your capabilities you can create with the laser. On attracting more business, that showed a lot of mixed opinions on whether it actually generated much work. Some do very well from it, others poured many hundreds of dollars/pounds, but no visible benefits. It might be just on how the website has been created of course, but some have used professionals, others just did it themselves. On a recommendation, I would say it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a go, but I would ward against you spending thousands to get it up and running. Many, if not most, members get their orders from referrals or 'word of mouth' and that is great testament of their abilities.

So enjoy yourselves, it's much better than driving into black sedans!

Jum Carr
12-26-2007, 8:31 AM
Mornin' Frank - I've no idea what time it is in the UK-the GMT clock is in the attic someplace under piles of boxes and at 05:20 I don't crunch numbers well. Hey, thanks for reply. Gotta say we really get a kick outta your posts! Like somebody said "You da man!!" As for the laser - we put seemingly hours and hours just thinking, reading, pricing and fretting about which machine to get. Encouraging to hear one of our favorite posters thinks our choice a good one. Well, been up all night on paperwork and guess Il'l grab a quick nap before facing the sun. Jim

Frank Corker
12-26-2007, 8:43 AM
8 hrs + I think

Mike Null
12-26-2007, 9:14 AM
Jim & Dorothy

Congratulations on your purchase and good luck.

Welcome to SMC.

Tom Bull
12-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Congrats and ditto all around on replies from another newbie. As to web, you almost have to have something, and since you have a few weeks before the machine gets here, find someone at the local com. college who teaches a web class and get them to suggest a student who can do at least a basic site with the ability for you to upload your own photos of your work as you get them. That student probably can do something awesome for a little bit of cash (seems the young 'uns can do that stuff in their sleep). And also ALWAYS write your settings of your power, speed, etc on everything you do in a log book. You will not regret doing it, but can really regret not writing them down. God bless your endeavors! Have a great new year.

Phyllis Meyer
12-28-2007, 9:40 AM
Welcome Jim and Dorothy!

You found the right site for the best info. and advice, your machine is on it's way, you have the business experiece, and the "leaving the job" thing...way to go! Life is too short! We have a motto in our shop "Failure Is Not An Option", but the new year will be bringing new mottos to go along with that and hopefully we have learned in the past year and a half something (we are still newbies) to pass along to our fellow creekers. I might start a new thread about it...later on in the week.

Here is another hint: call every number (I believe there is a list on the creek of suppliers), and request samples and all of their books. These are free of charge and if they want you to order from them...they will send samples! You will be all set to go once your machine arrives! Best of luck and a Blessed New Year!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)