PDA

View Full Version : Oneway sharpening situation

paul ashman
12-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Merry Christmas all!
I have a Woodcraft slow-speed grinder with a Oneway sharpening setup, and when sharpening a gouge with the gouge jig, the chisel wants to bounce on the wheel. I have dressed the wheel and try to hold a very steady hand. I will say that I am using smaller gouges (3/8"), but I wanted to ask for a little help before ruining anything.
P.S. I am still turning small wands and have delivered enough already to pay for the lathe and many of my tools!

Thanks
Paul Ashman

Gordon Seto
12-25-2007, 11:56 PM
May be the wheel is not balanced; or the shaft is not running true.

Gordon

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2007, 12:18 AM
Paul,

I have the same Woodcraft grinder. Mine was doing a similar thing. I found that the nut that holds the grinding wheel on....the threaded hole in the nut was NOT perpendicular to the flat outer surface of the nut. Thus, only a small portion of the surface of the nut was making contact with the grinding wheel. This allowed the wheel to wobble. I was lucky as it was the one on the right side of the grinder which is a right-handed threaded nut. I was able to purchase a replacement at a local Ace Hardware store.

Gordon Seto
12-26-2007, 7:54 AM
Woodcraft is known for good after sale service. If there is any problem, they do stand behind.
One solution is replacing those pressed wahers with the machined flat washers; they would help.

Gordon

Jim Becker
12-26-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with what's been said so far...suspect the grinder first. Re-seat the wheels to see if it clears up. And once you have the bouncing fixed, consider the OneWay balancing setup...amazing.

Nick Clayton
12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I have the same grinder and found the same situation occurring after I dressed the wheels. Try taking the wheels off and turning the grinder on to make sure it runs smoothly. If it doesn't the problem is your grinder and not the wheels, though this is unlikely.

I ended up solving my problem by purchasing new wheels and a balancing kit from oneway. http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/balancing.htm The grinder is silky smooth now. Unfortunately, you cannot use the balancing kit on the wheels that came with the grinder as the arbor hole is too small.

Jeff Schutzman
12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Dressing the wheels will give you a fresh griding surface all around the wheel. You might need to true the wheels which would give you a round wheel centered on the motor spindle.

You might be able to see if you wheel is in or out of round by taking a square and placing it on the bench so that one edge of the square is just barely not touching the wheel. The best way is to put a piece of paper between the wheel and the square. Take the paper away. Watch the gap as you rotate the wheel BY HAND, if it touches the wheel at some point or you can see the gap widen and then narrow your wheel is out of round and should be trued.

robert hainstock
12-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I have noot expierenced this with my Woodcraft grinder (new Aug 07). Maybe there was a bad run. Made In China, Stamped Parts, lack of quality control are all part of the game when buying made in China items.
Call Woodcraft's customer hotline at 1-800-897-7709 and please let us all know what they are suggesting. :confused:
Bob

Gordon Seto
12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Made In China, Stamped Parts, lack of quality control are all part of the game when buying made in China items.

I don't think it is as easy to judge by seeing where it is made.
My $200 heavy duty slow speed Delta grinder was also made in China. It even came with a gray wheel that is useless for turning tool and has to be replaced. It is a much better grinder than the Woodcraft slow speed grinder.

What kind of quality we get depends on what the company wants thier reputation on the line.

The Delta is 3 times the price of the WC, But I don't think it is 3 times better. The Delta is still no match for a Baldor. We have to choose how much we want to spend.

Gordon