PDA

View Full Version : So... whatcha get?

Mitchell Andrus
12-25-2007, 8:56 PM
I'll start:

Blue ray player (42" plazma already).
Zero tools! (I've got all I need or I just buy what I ain't got yet).

Jude Kingery
12-25-2007, 9:03 PM
Hi Mitchell, Merry Christmas! My husband did so great, got me an air compressor, nice one, 50' hose. One can do a whole bunch of things, especially pneumatic carving. Some people at his work wanted to know what he got his wife, earrings, etc, he said uhm, no, an air compressor. They were perplexed, he said trust me, she's gonna love this and yep, I do! Have a good New Years! Jude

Jim Becker
12-25-2007, 9:50 PM
Chocolate (!), two prints (one an ink drawing of St. Basil's in Moscow and the other a colored print of the Siberian city of To'Bolsk 150-200 years ago where the original Kremlin was...and also the city my girls were born in), a suede-feel shirt from the 'rents, some Japanese bird finger bells, a couple very happy little girls and an outstanding standing prime rib dinner.

Bruce Page
12-25-2007, 9:53 PM
I told LOML that the shop was covered so we both went in halvers on a new DSLR.
I’ll be able to keep up with the grandkids now.

Mike Heidrick
12-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Got two copies of the War on DVD and two metal John Deere Hitch covers for the Titan - family looked at the wish list on amazon but did not update it. Also got Guitar Hero and Mario Galaxy for the Wii and a really Nice Beer Nut gift pack (they make Beer Nuts here in Bloomington, IL).

No straight edge like I wanted though so no WW related items this year.

Got the buy in for a new 52" W3000 sony LCD (unless I go XBR) and a wall mount. Free Blu Ray players right now with the W3000 models.

Gave Wilton cake decorating items, books, and other cooking gadgets. Baby got a Zoo Train and about every car for it. MIL got a car seat and home interiors. Gave MIL boyfriend a new cell phone. Friend got DVD set, Battery Tender, and a new Thompson mag for his new WWII toy.

Jon Lanier
12-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Pajama Bottoms and a day to spend uninterrupted with my family. :D

Glenn Clabo
12-26-2007, 7:22 AM
Bruce...
At your age you'll be needing more than a camera to keep up with the grandkids.

Rod Torgeson
12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I got a neat picture frame with two pictures in it that my grandson took. Got a nice warm flannel shirt from my daughter along with a hummingbird calendar and an LED rechargeable work light. Now from Santa(me) I got a Husky 24 inch chainsaw, an Ellipse jig from Rockler, an extra battery for my Canon digital XTi rebel camera as well as a 4GB memory card, a wide angle lens(yet to come via the brown truck or postal carrier), a 18V Dewalt drill and a new pair of hiking boots. Santa was good to me this year :D. Sometimes I start my shopping early like back in November.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Brian Weick
12-26-2007, 10:37 AM
a 160 gig external hard drive- USB never had one and man is this thing cool! ,and some clothes as well , a wonderful sport coat a real nice Cologne set from my girls and the X . I did get something for the whole family to enjoy, and I could not resist since it was almost half price- and here it is- 40" HDTV LCD Samsung TV/monitor - what a picture! I bought one for my Girl friend as well- But she was looking for a smaller flat panel 26" and I hooked that up for her yesterday-she is elated and I am glad I was able to do that for her. Last year it was laptops for my two girls and a newer vehicle for my 21 year old - that's it for the big ticket items for Xmas for a while. I didn't get any tools this year and that's fine, they wouldn't know what to get me as it is, plus I really don't like receiving gifts. It is much better to give than it is to receive-:)
Merry Christmas - :)
Brian

JayStPeter
12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Not a big year for shop related gifts, but I did get a Wixey angle gauge and a signed copy of the Chris Schwartz workbench book. Got lots of other good stuff including new sway bars for the car.

Frank Caponi
12-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Santa was great - I got the Starrett 12 inch Combination Square with the Forged Head (that would be the smooth one that doesn't hold sawdust from your fingers when you use it) -And - The Starrett 4 inch Double Square - Already trying to figure out just how good I have to be for the entire coming year to get a set of Blue Spruce Dovetail Chisels next Christmas - lol

Thomas Knighton
12-26-2007, 12:34 PM
I got a sweater, some cargo pants, a couple of movies, a cool new belt, a couple of autographed books written by an old friend, and zero tools. The sad part about the tools was that my entire Christmas list to my wife was tools :(

Tom

Michael Gibbons
12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
A Lie-Nielsen 1" bevel edge chisel from the In-laws

Woodcraft gift card from BIL and his family

2 Otter Boxes

Honing compound kit

Marble's Special hunting knife

Quick change drill/countersink set

Marble's outdoors memorabilia

Asst'd gift cards

Bruce Page
12-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Bruce...
At your age you'll be needing more than a camera to keep up with the grandkids.

Who you callin’ old - I’m still a pup compared to you! :rolleyes:
The 4 year old is a challenge....

Greg Peterson
12-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Lefse grill and rolling pin. Been decades since I've had fresh lefse.

Tyler Howell
12-26-2007, 2:42 PM
Same as last Year
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14123&d=1104094779
:o

Dale Johnson
12-27-2007, 11:37 AM
a week visit from our son and grandson that live in califoria, son was on leave from navy, a bottle of 12 year old scotch, new earphones for mp3 player, and a broken arm. the arm was an early gift from my employer.

Thomas Knighton
12-27-2007, 12:14 PM
a week visit from our son and grandson that live in califoria, son was on leave from navy, a bottle of 12 year old scotch, new earphones for mp3 player, and a broken arm. the arm was an early gift from my employer.

Dang. What did you give him/her? ;)

Tom

Mitchell Andrus
12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
EEEEWWWWW!

Who's arm was it???

Dale Johnson
12-27-2007, 3:08 PM
EEEEWWWWW!

Who's arm was it???

my left. 4" below the shoulder. no woodworking until march. :( therapy starts after jan 11. did a fair amount of muscle and bone damage. nothing like falling against the corner of a 4,000# table. table came out of it without a scratch.

David Duke
12-27-2007, 3:56 PM
About 4 weeks ago the LOML asked me what I wanted for Christmas, just so happened I received a McFeelys catalog out of the mail that day and was thumbing through it. I told her to give me a pen and then I started marking the catalog like when we were kids (if I had know it would work I would have circled more :D:D ). I got the Kreg clamp table without the legs, I really don't have the room for it to be out all the time, two of the Festool systainers,one came with screws (I marked the kind I use) the other without, I wanted to have washer heads in the second one and they weren't an available option.

But the best gift of all was a wonderful day with family............cant get any better than that.

Jamie Siegel
12-27-2007, 8:31 PM
I'm a big reader so I got some books:

James Patterson-
6th Target
The Quickie
Double Cross
a 1yr subscription to Jumble (word game) magazine
Wood Identification and Use revised/expanded version by Terry Porter

Willie Wonka DVD
Charlie Brown Christmas DVD

a Helena Brewers baseball cap. (rookie league affiliate of Milwaukee Brewers)

$50.00 GC to William Sonoma for cookware

a couple things on the way yet...

Leigh Costello
12-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I got a b-e-a-utiful hand-painted what-not cabinet and a dislocated kneecap, 3 huge bruises and a rather ugly fabric burn. The cabinet was made by a local artist. It is awesome, but my camera broke my fall so no pics. I had attempted to step onto a chair and my knee went one way and I went the other. Doc says use a ladder next time and don't worry, the kneecap is fine now - it's the ligaments that need to heal. I got a great meal cooked by hubby out of the deal, though. I love Christmas. Especially the colorful gifts. :p

Al Willits
12-28-2007, 9:00 AM
Jon, please tell me next year your not getting the tops for them bottoms? :D

Greg, we should get together, I have the krumkake iron and rosettes stuff, add a little fattigman and we could come up with a pretty good holiday baking cheer...:D

Small family here, but I got the PC little belt sander and the Dewalt drill for the wood shop I wanted, also some DVD movies, a gift certificate to Rocklers and Beasties blessing on the drum sander.

Beasty had picked out several necklaces she wanted, and casually mentioned another one, but she said that one was way to expensive, so I shouldn't get that one...uh huh..the old guy ain't completely dense...I got her the one she said not to get...:)
Also got her a sweater and hooded sweatshirt she wanted, all in all a nice X-mas with our small family.
We also spent a evening with Lori and I sitting in the living room enjoying a glass of wine, X-mas cookies and listening to the Garrison Keillor's X-mas radio show.
Sometimes life can really be good.

Al.....who hopes everybody X-mas was at least as good as ours.

Scott Kilroy
12-28-2007, 9:53 AM
My wife got me a bosch barrel grip jigsaw and a milwaukee sawzall (obviously not for woodworking but still cool). These were upgrades from a Black and Decker jigsaw (that vibrated like a pavement breaker) and a sawzall that was in pretty bad shape from years of abuse.

jigsaw before

http://www.fiendishplan.com/banddjigsaw.jpg

after

http://www.fiendishplan.com/boschjigsaw.jpg

sawzall before

http://www.fiendishplan.com/banddsawzall.jpg

after

http://www.fiendishplan.com/msawzall.jpg

Jim Becker
12-28-2007, 9:57 AM
Gee, Scott...looks like you were shaking with excitement over your new tools! :D (I have the orange B&D circular saw that matches that old jig saw...still use it for home improvement tasks)

Scott Kilroy
12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Gee, Scott...looks like you were shaking with excitement over your new tools! :D (I have the orange B&D circular saw that matches that old jig saw...still use it for home improvement tasks)

Sorry about that last picture. I could have been shaking over excitement or it might have been my wife trying to stop me from turning our car into a convertible :)

Dan Bussiere
12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Got the Delta 36-982 contractor saw with Bies fence. Seems like a great saw so far.

Kurt Aebi
12-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Got new filters and overlays for the Trend Airshield

A One-Way Termite ring gouge for end-grain

A digital game-camera

A Day-Pack with portable seat for hunting.

Ammo for the deer rifles (.270 & .308)

A 209 shotgun primer upgrade kit for the Knight Muzzleloader.

As you can tell, my family knows my 2 greatest loves (other than my lovely wife) - Hunting & Woodworking!

Bob Rufener
12-28-2007, 3:03 PM
My wife and I decided to update our TV with a 46" LCD Sony. Got a satellite dish upgrade from son # 1, a supply of Sawzall blades and scroll saw blades from son # 2 (along with beer of the month for 6 months), a flannel shirt and a belt from our daughter. A nice day at home with our kids who live all over the country. That was the best part.