PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a drill press.

Ronny Dear
12-25-2007, 6:40 PM
I am going to purchase a floor mounted drill press tomorrow and wanted some advice. I've looked at everything from the Powermatic to the Craftsment, and can't seem to one that stands out. Obviously the PM seems to be a fantastic machine, but I was told that the minimum speed of 400 would not work for all applications and that a variable speed from 175-3000 would be better. You opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff Wright
12-25-2007, 7:06 PM
I got tired of waiting for the Delta super-duper press as it was delayed over a year and instead bought a Steel City 17-inch. No regrets. I like the 6" quill travel. Good-sized motor. Good speed range. I added the laser lights which are well worth it.

Robert McGowen
12-25-2007, 7:35 PM
Hi Ronny,

I will probably go against the grain here, but I purchased a Rigid from HD several years ago. I had a problem after a few months with an electrical smell coming from the motor. Call customer service and asked them what I needed to see if it was under warranty. They told me that it did not matter, it was covered for life and they over-nighted me a new motor without any questions asked. I have never had any problems with it since then. This is about my only "good" HD story though! (I have several bad ones. :() It is their largest floor model. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Robert

Gary Herrmann
12-25-2007, 7:45 PM
I bought a factory refurbished Delta 968(?) a few years ago. I think I got it for around 300-350. Its the old variable speed (doesn't require belt changes). It's done a great job for me. I'm impressed by the new Deltas and PMs, but 800-900 for a drillpress seems a bit much to me.

John Thompson
12-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Like Robert, I purchased the Rigid 1500 DP 5 years ago. It has seen much work and has preformed admirably. Absolutely no problems with it except you have to change the over-head light bulb occasionally. Adequate power.. minimal run-out.. good clamping.. easy belt changes and offered at a very reasonable price. Excellent DP!

The only reason I would even consider making change is to acquire the also excellent Steel City 17" with the 6" quill travel.

Sarge..

Lance Norris
12-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I have been happy with my Delta 17-950L. Its inexpensive and I feel, a great value. Has a woodworking table, and laser guide. The table tilts forward as well.

Jim O'Dell
12-25-2007, 10:35 PM
I have the Delta 17-965. It's nice. Does everything I've asked of it. I was in Woodcraft last weekend, and there were several Deltas there that were nice. Larger tables than what mine has. Didn't notice if they had the SC units. Wasn't impressed with the Jet offerings. 6" quill travel would be nice, but I've not used the 4 1/2"+ that mine has yet. Variable speed would be very convenient, rather than doing the belt change thing. Jim.

Mike Heidrick
12-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Delta 20-950 and the Steel City 17 are my favorites.

I bought the Steel City 17 and it is perfect for me.
The Delta has a super nice table but is quite a bit more.

The PM would work perfectly for me but the fact that the others are 6" and 200rpm and the SC is less money (delta is close to PM money) makes me choose light grey.
I had trouble justifing the SC money for a drill press but am very very happy with it and have not second guessed it. It will last me a lifetime.

Norman Pyles
12-26-2007, 12:09 AM
I have the crafsman 17" that I got a really good deal on. It is a good stout drillpress. The one thing about the CM I am not to keen on is the keyless chuck. Time will tell if it pans out. Good luck in your search.

Eddie Darby
12-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Delta 20-950 and the Steel City 17 are my favorites.

I bought the Steel City 17 and it is perfect for me.
The Delta has a super nice table but is quite a bit more.

The PM would work perfectly for me but the fact that the others are 6" and 200rpm and the SC is less money (delta is close to PM money) makes me choose light grey.
I had trouble justifing the SC money for a drill press but am very very happy with it and have not second guessed it. It will last me a lifetime.

These two are my favs also.

If I got the Steel City 17" drill press, the first thing I would do is make a bigger and better table for it. I was surprised that someone who is leading the field with granite tops and titanium nitrate finishes on tops, would produce such a small plain table.

"It will last me a lifetime." You said it!
It is the split head design that allows you to maintain accuracy over the years. I wish other DP's were like this.

Both have 6" of quill travel, which for me comes in handy every once in a while, while others think his is a waste for them.

I was told by a rep for SC that the laser device wasn't going to cost me in batteries either.

Slow Speed helps when you are doing work with large diameter forstners or large diameter hole saws, and cutters.

Jeff Wright
12-26-2007, 11:16 AM
These two are my favs also.

If I got the Steel City 17" drill press, the first thing I would do is make a bigger and better table for it. I was surprised that someone who is leading the field with granite tops and titanium nitrate finishes on tops, would produce such a small plain table.

I installed a Woodpecker table; works great for my uses. Cost about $115. It would be easy enough to make a nice one though.

Mike Marcade
12-26-2007, 11:35 AM
The Delta 20-950 also has a 6 inch quill travel.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I can tell you from experience...one of the things you want to place of importance is the distance the quill will travel. You want at least 4" of travel.

Ronny Dear
12-27-2007, 9:04 AM
Thank you everyone for the input. I chose the SC 17", which I found locally and now have standing proudly in the shop. I appreciate all of your feedback.:)

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
400 may be a tad fast for a lot of non-carbide Forstner bits.

It will also be a tad fast for some metal drilling operations.

Darren Fast
12-27-2007, 7:35 PM
Great choice. I was going to suggest this but then saw that you'd already purchased one. I'm just finishing up a bigger table for mine and then it will be perfect. Already is a joy to use.

Peter Quadarella
12-27-2007, 7:48 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase the Steel City one from my local Woodcraft within the next month or so.

My question is - when I purchase it, will they give me the one in the store, or a new, untouched one? Also, I noticed that the depth stop has some give in it - is that from wear (people playing with it) or is it just like that?

OK, one more question - how do you guys purchase and move these heavy things? Hand truck? The drill press isn't too bad, but once I start looking to get a bandsaw or something bigger...

Jim O'Dell
12-27-2007, 8:00 PM
Peter, all I can say is have a friend to help, especially when assembling the DP! Getting that cast iron head up on top of that little pole is tough by yourself. I did it, but there were a couple of times I thought I was going to drop the thing! The bandsaw was much easier to walk off the pallet, IMHO. Jim.

Peter Quadarella
12-27-2007, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the tip Jim - I undoubtedly would have tried it myself risking the same thing had you not warned me.

Art Mann
12-27-2007, 9:41 PM
Please educate me! Every time one of these threads pops up, several people recommend buying a DP with a 6 inch throw. I have had a tabletop drill press for quite a while, and I have yet to encounter a need to drill 6 inches. I am planning to buy a new DP soon. Please tell me why I need that feature. It knocks out a whole bunch of otherwise nice machines.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Peter,

I just had a 630 lb. PM3520B lathe and 480 lb. B/S delivered to my shop. Both drivers used pallet jacks and placed them inside the garage door on my shop. Then I used a Little Giant ladder and a come-along and a chain hoist to remove them from the pallets. The lathe I slid the length of my shop on the pallet and then hoisted the bed up and bolted the legs on. Then I mounted the tailstock and tool rest.

The b/s I hoisted up, unbolted it from the pallet and kicked the pallets out from under it. Then I lowered it to the floor after bolting it's wheel assemby on it.

No lifting.

Peter Quadarella
12-27-2007, 10:49 PM
OK, I guess I need to get a chain hoist then :)

Thanks a lot for the information, this is all quite new to me.

John Thompson
12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Please educate me! Every time one of these threads pops up, several people recommend buying a DP with a 6 inch throw. I have had a tabletop drill press for quite a while, and I have yet to encounter a need to drill 6 inches. I am planning to buy a new DP soon. Please tell me why I need that feature. It knocks out a whole bunch of otherwise nice machines.

You may never, Art. I have never had to go 6" in wood. I have gone over 4 1/2" quite a number of times as I build some pretty hefty work-benches for freinds and acquaintances that are willing to pay. I use a LV twin screw vise on the end and I have to drill through thick base legs with my design to allow the threaded screws to go through. I often go 4" on a top and would love to use the DP to drill dog holes in succession.

I do use it to go as deep as it will allow which is 3 3/4" and then have to finish with a hand-held brace and auger bit. So.. even though I have never needed 6" (YET)... I would love to have it for wood.

But... I could have used it quite often as I also do some metal working. I have been associated with re-building old American Muscle Cars for quite a number of year. Over 4" and sometimes even beyong 6" on certain frame rails is not that uncommon there and I have to take it to a local machine shop in those cases.

So... again, you may never need it and then again you just might someday. I see it even in an all wood scenario as "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Regards...

Sarge..

Dick Strauss
12-28-2007, 1:55 AM
More than 4" of drilling depth comes in real handy if you want to turn pens on a lathe and need to drill the bushing holes.

Dick Strauss
12-28-2007, 1:57 AM
You need more than 4" of quill travel to drill the bushing holes for some pen blanks...

Dick