PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1023SL 10" Table Saw 3 HP lft tilt

Declan James
12-25-2007, 1:52 PM
@ amazon right now for $895, is that a good deal ?

John Grossi
12-25-2007, 2:17 PM
Great deal. I bought mine over 1 year ago for around 950. Best part is it is a great saw. Fit and finish, 3 hp, excellent fence, and top notch support are other reasons I like this saw. John

Tim Marks
12-25-2007, 2:53 PM
Buy it now, cause it will go back up to $995 on Dec 31st.

I love Grizzly; they get you with the 100 dollaritis every time... you throw another $150 in, you can get the cast iron router wing. Wait, throw another $50 on top of that and get the 5 Hp instead of the 3 Hp... You can easily creep your way into a whole new class of machine without trying (which is how I ended up with a $1200 edge sander when I meant to buy a little disc sander).

Don Morris
12-25-2007, 3:32 PM
Ditto John Grossi, I love mine and paid the same as he did. Great deal, go for it!

Ray Knight
12-25-2007, 4:09 PM
I was planning on buying the grizzly 1023. I am in negotiation for a used unisaw. If that deal doesn't come together, I will buy the grizzly. If you are correct I need to finalize the other deal or order by the end of the year. Is grizzly listing this as a time limited price? Ray Knight

Chuck Lenz
12-25-2007, 4:51 PM
Grizzly is ok if you live close to a showroom and you can pick it up. Shipping for me breaks the deal. I can usually buy something else locally for about the same price, maybe a little more, and not deal with shipping issues such as missing or broken parts. Just take it back to the store and replace it for another instead of shipping it back and waiting for another that may not be right either.

Tim Morton
12-25-2007, 5:01 PM
Grizzly is ok if you live close to a showroom and you can pick it up. Shipping for me breaks the deal. I can usually buy something else locally for about the same price, maybe a little more, and not deal with shipping issues such as missing or broken parts. Just take it back to the store and replace it for another instead of shipping it back and waiting for another that may not be right either.

grizzly shipping is usually about $80 for 600 pounds of metal...that hardly seems to be a deal breaker:eek: I have yet to find a comparable saw locally for less.

Chris Barnett
12-25-2007, 5:23 PM
Bought the 1023SLW a few months back. Other than setting non-square on the pallet :eek: the saw was dead parallel to the miter track (after measuring with good scale) and fence needed just slight adjustment (should haveleft it alone since Forrest recommends a slight drift away from saw). At the stop, blade was as close to 90 degrees to table as I could measure. Went together like an erector set. Good price for a good saw.

Tim Marks
12-25-2007, 6:14 PM
If you are correct I need to finalize the other deal or order by the end of the year. Is grizzly listing this as a time limited price? Ray Knight
Yes, this was the Christmas sale price, ends Dec 31. I have the 2008 print catalog, which shows what price increases will go in effect on Jan 1.

scott spencer
12-25-2007, 6:43 PM

There'd be no industrial cabinet saws locally that I could buy new in that price range. It'd be tough to get much below $1400 locally, then I'd pay > $100 in sales tax, so $989 to my door is still several hundred dollars less, and its a well proven commodity. I'd rather buy locally, but when the total price is 45-50% more, it's a tough buy.

Lee Koepke
12-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I just got the same saw direct from Grizzly. It was the same price as Amazon, and I just went to the source.

As Chris said, mine too was set up well right out of the box.

This was quite an upgrade for me and I like it alot. I had a 50" homeshop Bies on my previous saw, so I opted to just reuse that .. havent decided what to do with the ShopFox they sent with the saw yet ...

Wade Lippman
12-26-2007, 5:30 PM
I am also looking for a reasonably priced saw.
Grizzly told me that either removing the table to lighten it before hauling it to my basement or putting a router insert other than theirs in would void the warranty.

Steel City and Delta both said those things were fine. Since I have to do them, I have written Grizzly off my list.
Now I am trying to decide if Delta is worth $200 more than Steel City.
I sold my contractors saw this morning, so I have to do SOMETHING fast.

scott spencer
12-26-2007, 7:20 PM
Grizzly told me that either removing the table to lighten it before hauling it to my basement or putting a router insert other than theirs in would void the warranty.

Steel City and Delta both said those things were fine. Since I have to do them, I have written Grizzly off my list.

That's an interesting comment from Grizzly Wade.....I'm not doubting that they told you that, but I think it's worth double checking...sounds strange that it would void the warranty, and I'm wondering if you got some bum information. Especially the router table comment...an aftermarket miter gauge doesn't void it, why would another router table?

Lee Koepke
12-26-2007, 8:02 PM

me and a guy from work put it on a 5x8 trailer w/gate ... wheeled the trailer to the basement. lifted saw off pallet to a furniture dolly, then rolled it down the ramp to the shop. 2 guys, and help from a 16 yr old ... 461 lbs sounds daunting, but there are wheeled alternatives ..

Rob Blaustein
12-26-2007, 9:59 PM

Wade--I would echo Scott's comments. You might double check with Grizzly on this. The saw's manual describes removing the table and wings for certain adjustments so it seems odd that that would void the warranty. If you do remove the top from whatever saw you buy, remember to make note of the number and location of any mounting bolt shims that were placed in the factory.

I have the 1023SL and think it's a great saw. Other than a riving knife (I added a Biesemeyer splitter) and a blade that stops if it hits a finger, I'm not sure how I'd improve it.

Chuck Lenz
12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
There'd be no industrial cabinet saws locally that I could buy new in that price range. It'd be tough to get much below $1400 locally, then I'd pay > $100 in sales tax, so $989 to my door is still several hundred dollars less, and its a well proven commodity. I'd rather buy locally, but when the total price is 45-50% more, it's a tough buy.
I think you missed my point Scott. The extra saveings to me isn't worth the agrivation of not haveing a saw for weeks, possibly months.

Art Mann
12-26-2007, 11:21 PM
You are certainly taking more of a chance that your equipment will be down a while if you order it than if you pick it up locally. The question is how much more risk. My guess is something like 1% of all Grizzly saws require some form of customer service interaction but, from what I have read here, it is typically days rather than weeks. For the huge savings involved, I am willing to take that chance.

Chuck Lenz
12-27-2007, 1:21 AM
You are certainly taking more of a chance that your equipment will be down a while if you order it than if you pick it up locally. The question is how much more risk. My guess is something like 1% of all Grizzly saws require some form of customer service interaction but, from what I have read here, it is typically days rather than weeks. For the huge savings involved, I am willing to take that chance. One percent ? Read some of the customer rateings in Amazon.com. More than one percent complain about the preperation of shiping on these saws.

scott spencer
12-27-2007, 5:27 AM
I think you missed my point Scott. The extra saveings to me isn't worth the agrivation of not haveing a saw for weeks, possibly months.

You're right...I was thinking only in terms of price, not convenience. sorry.

Rob Blaustein
12-27-2007, 8:30 AM
One percent ? Read some of the customer rateings in Amazon.com. More than one percent complain about the preperation of shiping on these saws.

It's really impossible to know the true rate unless Grizzly releases that info. The Amazon ratings are a very small sample size and likely do not yield an accurate estimate since small sample sizes and self-reporting tend to be prone to biases (e.g. unhappy people tend to be more vocal and write reviews).

But overall I would agree that shopping locally, if possible, helps avoid some of the issues mentioned.

Tim Marks
12-27-2007, 9:01 AM
The extra saveings to me isn't worth the agrivation of not haveing a saw for weeks, possibly months.
Every machine that I have ordered from Grizzly has arrived in 1-4 days. It is amazing to actually get a machine literally overnight...

I choose to pick up everything I order at the local freight terminal to avoide the aggrevation of having to be home for a block of time during delivery, plus I believe (unsubstantiated) that 70% of all shipping damage occures in the truck between the terminal and your house, since frequently it is packed with only a few other boxes and free to move around.

One percent ? Read some of the customer rateings in Amazon.com. More than one percent complain about the preperation of shiping on these saws.
And what percentage of Grizzly's big machinery purchases do you think come off of Amazon. I do not understand why Grizzly even bothers with them, except maybe as an advertising scheme. Grizzly has a fully functional on-line ordering system, and I would prefer not to cut Amazon a percentage of my purchase price given the choice. Shop directly from Grizzly and maybe help prevent price raising.

Chuck, have you personally ever had a problem with shipping from Grizzly?

Art Mann
12-27-2007, 11:10 AM
One percent ? Read some of the customer rateings in Amazon.com. More than one percent complain about the preparation of shipping on these saws.

One percent may be low, but the Amazon comments are meaningless for statistical purposes. Just think about human nature and the way this board works. New owners are anxious to vent their frustration if a tool isn't delivered in working order but the opposite isn't true. When was the last time you saw a post that said something like "I received my order from Grizzly and everything was delivered as expected". It just isn't worth posting success stories.

As expensive as it is to send out new repair parts or, worse yet, pay to have a big tool exchanged, Grizzly would go broke if the repair/return rate was greater than a very few percent.

By the way, while we are talking about local purchase vs. ordering from somewhere else, what do you think is going to happen if you buy a Delta tablesaw locally and it doesn't work right? You have pretty much the same choices that you do if Grizzly sells it to you. You can wait several days for a repair part or you can send it back to the seller. In the case of Grizzly, they will send a truck to your house to pick it up. With the local seller, you have to get it back to them yourself. There is no way they will send someone to your house to pick it up or do a repair onsite unless you pay a lot more than $1000 - $1500.

I like to shop locally where possible, even if it costs a little more, to support the local shops and local economy. However, when you have a big ticket item like a tablesaw, and the difference in price is several hundred dollars, I normally can't afford to buy local. There are exceptions.

Wade Lippman
12-27-2007, 3:51 PM
I bought one this morning. I sure hope it is a good price!

BTW, I had to call Grizzly CS a couple times when I got my BS this summer, but it all worked out okay.

Rob Blaustein
12-27-2007, 8:41 PM
I bought one this morning. I sure hope it is a good price!

BTW, I had to call Grizzly CS a couple times when I got my BS this summer, but it all worked out okay.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I added some extras that have made it more fun and safe to use (Bies splitter, board buddies, overarm guard connected to dust collector). Sounds like you were able to deal with the table top issues. Good luck getting it into the basement.