PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Wax?

Doug Griffith
12-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm curious if anyone has cut sheet wax with their laser cutter. It would be used for lost-wax casting. Also, what about machineable foam?

Cheers,
Doug

Rodne Gold
12-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I tried various waxesin block and sheet form , even to the extent of freezing it , doesn't work for me.
The wax melts too readily.
You can however use many other materials to make the master for a rubber mould and cast the waxes in the mould.

Doug Griffith
12-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Rodne,
I'm looking at the high temperature sheet wax sold at McMaster Carr (8691K68). It melts at 267 to 287 degrees. Have you tried any high temp waxes?

Cheers

Rodne Gold
12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I have tried dental wax in sheet form and the green and purple jewellers wax in block and ring form. Dunno about high temp wax , but in all cases the engraving wasnt useable. I'd rather make a master than do a wax directly. I do a lot of masters for spin casting where i'm limited to materials cos the master has to withstand high temps. You arent as limited if you casting waxes cos the master doesnt have to withstand vulcanising temps.

Doug Griffith
12-27-2007, 9:29 PM
I'm going to give the high temp wax a try (vector cutting) and will let you know how it works.

Cheers,
Doug