PDA

View Full Version : I now know why all my tools (most) have power cords

Scott Coffelt
02-23-2004, 10:37 AM
I was finishing up some mortices this weekend with a hand chisel. I dropped it (slipped actually not full drop) and it took a nice chunk out of my thumb. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I guess its why I don't have as many hand tools as I do power. BTW, sharp chisels cut pretty clean into skin too. I had to rob one of the Woody (Toy Story) bandages from my son, kind of fitting, because I ran out of bigger sizes in my shop. Note to one's self, make sure to have plenty of all bandage sizes on hand. (punn??) :D

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 2:33 PM
I was finishing up some mortices this weekend with a hand chisel. I dropped it (slipped actually not full drop) and it took a nice chunk out of my thumb. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I guess its why I don't have as many hand tools as I do power. BTW, sharp chisels cut pretty clean into skin too. I had to rob one of the Woody (Toy Story) bandages from my son, kind of fitting, because I ran out of bigger sizes in my shop. Note to one's self, make sure to have plenty of all bandage sizes on hand. (punn??) :D

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse, Scott. I forget exactly where I read it, but I think I remember, that statistically, there are far, far many more tool-related injuries from hand tools than there are from power tools.

OK, now before the Neanders get all over me for that little factoid, I will agree that the fewer power tool injuries are probably more serious. There. Happy now? :rolleyes: :cool:

Wolf Kiessling
02-23-2004, 2:47 PM

Glad to hear you survived, Scott. When I butterflied the palm of my left hand some years ago, I went and got myself one of those steel mesh gloves. One of the most important tools in my shop now. I'm constantly running chisels, veiners, v-tools and gauges into my left hand and that glove has saved me every time.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-23-2004, 2:53 PM
Scott
Am glad you're OK and can still give a thumbs up :D
Daniel :cool:

Tom Scott
02-23-2004, 3:28 PM
Scott,
As you found out, we neanderthals are not without our injuries. I found out early on that you should never have any part of your body in front of the blade in the event of a slippage.
It is also rare that a person with hand tools will continue cutting or pushing a chisel until it completely cuts off a digit (or worse).
BTW, on those nice clean cuts left by a sharp chisel I've found that super (CA) glue works great to hold it together in lieu of stitches.

John,
I can't argue your injury stats since I've never seen anything along these lines, but will attest that I've had my share of nicks (nothing major...knock on wood).

Work safely,
Tom

Scott Coffelt
02-23-2004, 3:30 PM
Tom,

Said thing was I was done and just dropped it. I guess the good thing is the thumb blocked the fall so the tip didn't go right into the work piece and damage it or cause me to have to regrind the chisel. I learned a long time ago to not place my hands anywhere in line, I try and hold down with clamps.

Tom Scott
02-23-2004, 5:36 PM
Could have been worse...
I've heard of chisels rolling off of a bench and going right through a boot and into a foot. Ouch!
Lesson there is to get out of the way (assuming you see it coming). It's a lot easier to re-grind a chisel, or even buy a new one, than to deal with the aftermath. That urge to try and catch a falling object is a hard instinct to fight, though.

John Shuk
02-23-2004, 9:36 PM
As a splicer for the local phone company I've had my share of nasty close calls opening cable sheath. They give us yellow Kevlar gloves and I use them all the time. They work great. Not always practical for woodworking but I've found them easy to get used to for the work I do in the field. I think they can be found in bass pro shops used when fileting fish. I'm sure Grainger would have them too. I'm just glad it wasn't worse for you.
John

David Rose
02-24-2004, 3:08 AM
LOL Glad you didn't damage the work Scott! Thumbs will grow back... won't they? Gulp! Once those neatly incised cuts are smoothed back down, they really seal up fast don't they? Oh, wait, I don't mean that I've ever done anything like that. Don't get me wrong. I'm speaking from the experience of others. Yeah, right. Just taught Dad to scarey sharp. Yep, just this week he had a "story" for me. I haven't done anything like that ever. At least not for a couple of weeks.

David, who ducks and dodges sharp chisels all the time

Tom,

Said thing was I was done and just dropped it. I guess the good thing is the thumb blocked the fall so the tip didn't go right into the work piece and damage it or cause me to have to regrind the chisel. I learned a long time ago to not place my hands anywhere in line, I try and hold down with clamps.

Byron Trantham
02-24-2004, 12:02 PM
I thought Norm said "A sharp tool is a safe tool." :D

Glad you're ok. My wife went out and bought one of those small wall hanging first aid kits for me. Trust me, I know where it is!

Scott Coffelt
02-24-2004, 1:59 PM
A sharp tool will usually be safer, except when you drop it on your hand...duh, stupid me.

Anyways, I have a nice little home made first aid kit. Just realized I ran out of the larger ones that wrap the whole finger. I seem to need these the most :rolleyes: , I guess I am just a cluts.

Anyways, the wound is healing nice, or at least isn't bleeding. I have a nice 1/4" smiley or frown depending on how you look at it. Good thing it wasn't a wider chisel :D .