PDA

View Full Version : options on raising a cabinet saw

Eric Mims
12-25-2007, 2:06 AM
I just got a Steel City cabinet saw with 50" fence system. The table sits at 34", but my outfeed/assembly table is at 36.25" which I find comfortable being 6'2".

Any tips/idea/photos on ways to raise the cabinet saw up. I'd rather do something a little nicer than a stack of scrap plywood and shims, but I don't need a mobile system. Suppose I need leveling feet but having trouble finding them locally. Maybe just a couple layers of ply with a t nut in each corner and a leveling foot?

The Steel City cabinet has some sort of nuts on two of the inside corners of the cabinet..not sure what they are for.. One of mine is bent anyways, as to make it useless.

Photos would be great if anyone has some.

Merry Christmas

Paul Girouard
12-25-2007, 2:34 AM
Cut plywood , build simple box around perimeter, put saw in box. Add as many inches of plywood filler as required.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/June117.jpg

Jim Becker
12-25-2007, 8:56 AM
I agree with Paul. Make a platform to exact height...you may want the saw just a "proverbial hair" above your outfeed surface to prevent binding.

I don't, however, suggest you use an adz and big slick to construct it with... :D ...(Great picture, Paul!)

Mike Cutler
12-25-2007, 9:06 AM
Eric.
You could simply pour a pad under the saw and set the saw on top.

Rob Will
12-25-2007, 9:38 AM
Eric,
I agree, you can build a box with a plywood bottom. Then add loose layers of plywood and laminate inside the box to get the height you desire. Depending on your floor conditions, you might simply insert a piece of laminate onder the corners as needed for leveling. Might need a dab of glue, silicone rubber etc.

The box will look fine if you round over the corners and outer edges just a bit. I would avoid the t-nuts and levelers on a heavy machine tool such as your saw. That plywood will be rock solid if you shim any low corners at the floor.

Rob

Jim O'Dell
12-25-2007, 10:08 AM
If there is a way to add the leveling feet easily, McMaster Carr has lots, very reasonable. I got a dozen 3/8" that have 3 1/2" long threads for 10.37 plus shipping. I think I'd still build some sort of decorative cover to keep all the dust/shavings/nuts/bolts/etc/etc from bouncing underneath the cabinet. Something with thin magnets imbedded into it to stick to the cabinet so it would be easy to take off to get to the leveling feet would be ideal. The ones I got have a hard plastic insert at the foot. Might want something rubber that wouldn't slide as easily, or glue some fine sandpaper on the bottoms of them. Good luck with your project. Jim.

Bob Justin
12-25-2007, 10:37 AM
If you can catch a boat to get off of the island, consider picking up a mobile machine base. Most raise the machine about 1" and some creative shimming with plywood along with some form of bolting down to secure the assembly, will give you the height you are looking for and the ability to move the saw or keep it stationary. Mine sits in place nearly all of the time but every once in a while the ability to turn it 90 degrees or move to a different location is great.

Eric Mims
12-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the pic, I think that's a good solution.. I'll post a pic with my finished product and proof of my stealth gloat. And if I told you what price I got the saw for, it might just ruin your Christmas. :D

glenn bradley
12-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Paul's got the idea. Just a simple box. An alterntive might be the pre-fab "concrete" pads the BORG sells for air conditioner units to sit on.