PDA

View Full Version : Straight start to the new year

Mike Heidrick
12-25-2007, 1:55 AM
I will be purchasing a new straight edge very soon. Any recomendations? Thinking about the Lee Valley 36" steel - Is that one good? I want to tune up the saw and planer (power tools). Any advice to this purchase or recomendations would be great. Thinking under $100.

Mark Rios
12-25-2007, 11:25 AM
This is my three footer. Ground to .0002 (2 ten-thousandths) per foot. $106.45 and some shipping. OR...you can find a local Snap-On dealer in the phone book and get one from him (her?) off of his truck. OR...if he doesn't have one on his truck, he can order you one and you won't have to pay the shipping. :D

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=62852&group_ID=17363&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

hth

Marcus Ward
12-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Any reason aluminum won't work for half the price? (Lee Valley)

Gary Herrmann
12-25-2007, 10:21 PM
My wife bought me the steel LV 36" straight edge for my birthday this past summer. Great accuracy for the price.

Bruce Page
12-25-2007, 10:23 PM
I have the 50" Aluminum Straightedge from LV, P/N #05N63.05
They claim that “The reference edge is machined flat to within 0.003" over the entire length”
I like the fact that it’ll stand up by itself.

Louis Rucci
12-26-2007, 9:54 AM
I bought the 24" from LV about 3 years ago. Worked beautifully when I adjusted my table extensions. I was a little disappointed when I went to use it on my jointer.

Problem: I should have bought the longer one.

Other than that miscalculation on my part, it's a great straight edge.

Louis

Brian Kent
12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Any reason aluminum won't work for half the price? (Lee Valley)

I have the 38" Lee Valley Aluminum straight edge. I love it. It works. It was recommended on this forum a couple of years ago. Just keep it hung in an out of the way place between uses since it could scratch more easily.

Scott Brihn
12-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Mike,

I've got the Veritas steel 36" and recently used it to flatten my bench. The surface finish out of the box is not perfect but as far as I can tell has no effect on accuracy. The weight and thickness is of great benefit IMHO. If you purchase one make sure you store it properly (hung or fully supported). I would recommend wiping it down with some light weight oil after each use to prevent fingerprint rust.

At various points over the last few years I have purchased all three Veritas steel straightedges. I find myself reaching for these reference aids almost every time I'm in the shop.

Before these were available I used a German marked, 40" aluminum straightedge sold by Lee Valley. I didn't use this one much because it wouldn't stand on edge.