PDA

View Full Version : Anybody stuck at work tonight?

Paul Greathouse
12-24-2007, 10:53 PM
I feel both blessed and fortunate for having had a good job like this for all these years (26 years at the local power company) but I also hate the fact that I'm here at work tonight instead of spending Christmas Eve with my family. Oh, and to add insult to injury, I'll be here tomorrow night too.

Sitting here in my control room monitoring a 3500lb Boiler that is powering a 500 Megawatt Turbine/Generator and surfing Sawmill Creek at the same time. How's that for multi-tasking? Is anyone else stuck at work tonight?

If your at home, what kind of good Christmas eats have you been munchin on?

Rick Gifford
12-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Worked 12 hours today at the chemical plant. I work tomorrow night too. I was fortunate to have this evening and tomorrow days off. I hate working Christmas. I dont have any good eats to report, that happens tomorrow.

Santa is finished now though. He came for my granddaughter who we are raising. I spend awhile playing with her stuff. They make those toys pretty interactive nowadays! :)

Mike Cutler
12-25-2007, 1:11 AM
No work today Paul, but I've spent a few Christmas Eves and days putting a 900 and a 1200 mwatt nuclear power plant back together.

Dinner was a stuffed pork loin, with hazelnut green beans, a killer salad, stuffed potatos, and Tiramisu for desert.

Merry Christmas bro' . Keep that 500 mwatts on the grid for us.;)

Earl Reid
12-25-2007, 8:48 AM
I also worked in a powerhouse for many years. I know what its like to miss lots of happening, but as I told everyone , someone has to keep the lights on :D:D
Earl

Al Willits
12-25-2007, 9:13 AM
Sitting at my desk now, only good part of this is the holiday pay scale makes that drum sander much closer.

Did the family thing X-mas eve.
So I have a cooler full of treats and left overs from last night, and a pair of stretch pants on...gonna eat myself though the day...:D

At least after 25 years in the field, I sit behind a desk now and don't have to fight the weather, traffic and people anymore.

Al

Ted Calver
12-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I lost track of the number of holidays spent working or away from family...all in good company and for a good cause. We always made up for it by shifting the day to one that worked for us. A special blessing on all those who serve their country or their fellow citizens.

Robert McGowen
12-25-2007, 11:12 AM
26 years on the police force and have worked my share of holidays. I was supposed to work and also be on-call for Christmas. (actually the entire week) I really did not want to do it and God answered my small prayer. I got hurt at work and had knee surgery last Friday. Poof, the entire next month off with pay! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-25-2007, 11:17 AM
How's the knee doing Robert?

My job.....Well I normally am supposed to work M-F 0800-1700 but the nature of the beast.....I also worked Sat and Sunday....and yesterday....and I'll be going by quickly today to check on the results of my work.....