PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me!

Bruce Evans
12-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Happy Holidays to you all, and thank you in advance for trying to help me out.

About 25 years ago I was working for ShopSmith and had the good fortune to pick a couple of chisels on clearance. :D I stored them carefully away and promptly forgot what they are for! :confused:

They are both good sized turning tools, 1/4" thick & Hirsch Werkzeuge is the manufacturer. Overall 18" long, handles are 9" and have model numbers stamped in them.

The first one (#1649 26), is a 1" wide chisel which narrows from the left side about 2" from the end which, and then swells back out into a round ball. The whole end around the ball is back beveled. I am guessing that this is a bowl scraper for under the rim?

The second (#1639 20) is narrower (11/16") and then widens about 1/8", starting 2" from the end, to the left. The end is diagonal cut from the left to the right and beveled from top to bottom through the entire thickness. Both of these angels are relatively shallow. Another scraper I guess?

Sorry, no pictures, my son has the camera for the holiday. :o

Please help me to identify these chisels by name and function and feel free to ask for additional info or specs.

Have not turned for years and would love to do something just for fun instead of for "the house".

Thanks again, best wishes to you and yours,

Bruce

robert hainstock
12-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like you are right about them. Maby Soligen (hss). Look at PSI on line for their Benjamens Best line and similar items may be there. Merry Christmas. :D
Bob