PDA

View Full Version : New tire technology

mark page
12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
If anyone is looking for a new set of all season tires, that do well in the rain or snow/ice. I just put a set of Goodyear Triple Tread tires on my car and they are great. They handle great in snow and ice, great traction and stopping ability. The only negative that I have against them is that they are a little bit noisier since they are directional tires and have larger lands. Nothing the radio on a low volume won't cover up. I can't believe the difference between what I had before and these. They are a little more expensive than something else but I believe they are worth it. I think they do make the same tire technology in a truck tire too, just a different tread pattern. I have no affiliation with goodyear, etc. Just offering my .02 cents worth if anyone is in the market for tires. The weather here in the midwest lately has tested them for me, and I do believe that they are working well.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Mark...it's amazing the different tread patterns can have. I had a set of Goodyears on my van. .terrible........the road gets a little wet and these things hydroplane and you spin out at every stop sign without intent! I'm not badmouthing Goodyear...just a particular tread pattern. Since I drive in the snow and ice a lot, I took them off off for the winter and got studded snow tires put on the van. Yet a local company sells Toyo all season tires that work well in snow and rain. I've used them on my personal vehicle for years.

The tread pattern can certainly make a big difference in the handling capability!

mark page
12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I know what you mean Ken, I put a set of Goodyear Assurance 80k tires on my wifes van. They do ride nice and are great tires, but suffer a little in the snow/ice. I wish I'd have "stepped up to the pump" and put the triple treads on hers. But I was looking at comfort and cushy ride more than anything, since that's our Sunday go to meeting vehicle.:)

Jim Becker
12-24-2007, 1:35 PM
We recently replaced the tires on Professor Dr. SWMBO's 2002 Prius...and didn't buy the OEM tires. While they do offer slightly better mileage, they wear really fast and are major horrible in winter conditions. The tires she did buy have significantly increased the handling, even in warm and wet weather. Sometimes it pays to pay more attention to what tires we buy!

Greg Peterson
12-24-2007, 1:50 PM
Put a set of Yokohama's on our Camry. Road noise is substantially reduced and the ride is like butter. World of difference.

As for snow and ice, out here those weather conditions are relatively rare occurrences. Rain is standard issue weather during the winter months and these tires handle it just fine.