PDA

View Full Version : router profiles for picture frames

Andy Pogue
12-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have a page on line with profiles of picture frames? I would like to know which bits and in what order, also maybe stacked like a mantle? Thanks!

Jim Becker
12-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Andy, draw out what you'd like in general and then figure out how to build it up using standard profiles. I'm not sure about net resources, in general, but Google "picture framing" and you should get a lot of resources that likely will have profiles.

Keith Starosta
12-24-2007, 12:44 PM
MLCS has some pretty nice looking picture framing bits...

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_pictr.html

But like Jim said, try to put some together using standard profiles first. I was a bit intimidated at first, but once you look at a profile you like, start disecting it, and you'll see that you can probably put it together pretty quickly.

- Keith

Grant Wilkinson
12-24-2007, 8:13 PM
Jim and Keith offered good advice. I do a lot of picture framing, and I just look at commercially available profiles that I like and break them down into the passes and bits that I need to make them. I keep good notes so that I can duplicate a profile later on. I keep track of which face was on the table, how far the fence was from the front of the bit and how high the bit was.