PDA

View Full Version : circular saw opinions????

Mark Singer
02-23-2004, 9:39 AM
I had several worm drive Skill saws from home construction ....my last one died and I am looking for a good saw. I read some reviews on The 6" Porter Cable Saw Boss and it seems good. I like the fact that it is lighter. I will be using it to break down sheet goods door trimming (full size "man" doors) and general shop use....a bit of framing. I have a battery Bosch saw...sometimes I need a bit more power. Any reccomendations???

Steven Wilson
02-23-2004, 9:49 AM
I like the 6" SawBoss, a bit lighter on the hands than a larger saw but still with plenty of capacity. If you want something for processing sheet goods you might want to look at the Festool circular saw and guide system.

Jim Becker
02-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Festool would be my choice for everything you list...except for the framing work. For that, as long as it's incidental, I'd just use an inexpensive circular saw and leave the Festool in the shop! (Which is exactly what I'll be doing soon--I have an orange B&D circular saw from about 1979 that works great and is my "construction" tool)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Mark, I'm not sure if the PC I bought is the SawBoss. but...the one I bought is not a wormscrew drive and uses a cord. I've found as I get older, I'm not as stong as I once was. I bought a PC that has the blade on the left side of the assembly like most worm screw drives. This lets me see the blade and the cutline while using it as I'm right handed. As far as the PC that I bought I quite pleased with it. I've cut both 3/4" oak plywood and some framing lumber with it and it performs well. I like the fact that it has an adjustable "nozzle" that allows me to aim the sawdust away from the cutline or my face while using it. The particular model I bought comes in either left or right blade models.

Glenn Clabo
02-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Mark,
I can't speak to Festool...but I'm sure you'll hear about them...but I can speak to Milwaukee. I bought one to replace an old wormdrive and I love it. It's light enough to use all day and powerful enough to do whatever you want. The Tilt-Lock Handle I thought was a gimmick...however I use it all the time. I have never gone wrong with the color red.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Q7AJ/qid=1077548368/br=1-10/ref=br_lf_hi_10//002-7043675-3882414?v=glance&s=hi&n=228409

Jim DeLaney
02-23-2004, 10:22 AM
I like my little 6" Saw Boss. I have a Skil 77 too, but the Saw Boss is what I reach for for most jobs anymore. For the sheet goods trimming, it's a much handier size then the 77. I also have the PC trim saw - a mini worm drive - that gets used a lot on sheet goods.

Gene Collison
02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
I had several worm drive Skill saws from home construction ....my last one died and I am looking for a good saw. I read some reviews on The 6" Porter Cable Saw Boss and it seems good. I like the fact that it is lighter. I will be using it to break down sheet goods door trimming (full size "man" doors) and general shop use....a bit of framing. I have a battery Bosch saw...sometimes I need a bit more power. Any reccomendations???

Mark,

I think Jim Becker has the right idea. But also consider that the Sawboss weighs only a pound less than the PC 743K which is one of the best out there, costs less, and takes a blade that is available anywhere. It even comes with a case and has a nice cast shoe that is corrugated, flat and really slippery. The shoe is also marked with the dimensions from edge to blade, something I'm always forgetting. Almost seems like a no brainer to me compared to the Sawboss.

Gene

Dean Baumgartner
02-23-2004, 3:39 PM
Mark,
Can't tell you about any of the newer saws, I've got a skill wormdrive and a cheap skill direct drive. Even though it's heavier I haven't used the direct drive since getting the worm drive. If you've been using the worm drive saws with the blade on the correct (left) side I couldn't imagine going back to the blade on the wrong side and trying to lean over everything to see where I'm cutting.

Just my $.02

Dean

Mark Singer
02-23-2004, 4:17 PM
Dean,
Your right...I used a Skill 77 for over 30 years...framed houses, stairbuilding, door hanging....I think I either get another or a Porter Cable with the left blade which is a lot lighter

Gene,
That is a great idea...! I checked it out and it looks great!

John Weber
02-23-2004, 5:20 PM
Mark,

I actually have 4 saws, a garage sale Craftsman beater/neighbor loaner, the blade is worth more then the saw, but for roofing work it's a keeper. I have a Skill 77 that I really like, but it is heavy - I wish the Mag 77 was out back then. I use the Skil for mostly for any construction type projects. For the shop I use a DeWalt 364, big shoe, brake, a very nice saw. And finally I have a DeWalt 18 v cordless. I really like the cordless for quick cut outside, but it runs through batteries like crazy and the cut is just ok. I think most of the name brand saws are decent. I would go with feel in the hand. I know a lot of guys like the Milwaukee and Porter Cable saws. A Mag 77 might be the ticket if you like the worm drive units.

John

Ken Garlock
02-23-2004, 5:38 PM
Mark, let me suggest yet another brand - Mikita. The team of framers that did our house and shop use ONLY Mikita. The like the aluminum sole plate and the saw just keeps running, like a Timex. :) I asked them about Milwaukee, and they said the Mikita beats it hands down. A nice little add-on is a small light that shines down on the blade where it is about to cut, a nice feature is you are working late.

All I can say is that they use the Mikita everyday, and they are excellent framers. It is not often that you hear each successive sub come to a contruction site and remark about what a good job the crew before them ad done. I was lucky to have that said multiple times during our construction last year....

Charles McKinley
02-23-2004, 8:35 PM
Hi Mark,

I'll agree with Ken the Makita is a great unit: light weight, reliable, plenty of power. I loved mine until it was backed over on a job this summer. They moved the horses and not the saw. :(

The Milwaukees are a horse they keep running. (own)

The left handed PC are a nice saw and if you are used to a left bladed saw would deserve a good look. The PC has a chute that is easier to direct the sawdust or hook to a vac. (reseached)

My 77 lives in the panel saw. :cool:

If you are giong to be doing a lot of sheet goods I would get the festool. (probably my next saw purchase) ;)

Just my thoughts.

Walt Pater
02-23-2004, 9:13 PM
The Milwaukee recently faired well in two different polls, FWW and CR. I have a Milwaukee, and like it a lot: it replaced a vintage Skil that was as heavy as lead but cut like butta. The only drawback to the Mil is it's case: it's obnoxiously large, bad for us space-conscious folk. FYI, The armature on my PC trim saw (the 4 1/2" worm drive, not the 6")-just went adios-despite regular brush changes and proper extension cords. Also, a 40 t blade- Freud/Oldham/Amana- along with a zero-clearance shooter board- will give pretty nice results on sheet goods & doors with the Mil.
Walt.

Mike Evertsen
02-23-2004, 9:37 PM
I bought a hiatachi 7 1/4 saw sunday to replace the skil,,,what a differnce wish I had done it before,,,,

John Scarpa
02-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Well it's been awhile since I last posted. Hope to be on more once the real job lets up.

Saw this interesting jig. Remind you of another line's circular saw guide?

http://www.eurekazone.org/products.html

John

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Mark,

I have the Skil 77 Mag. I used this thing to cut EVERYTHING. I recently loaded it up with a diamond blade and chopped into my fireplace stone to inset an insert I was having clearance problems with (see post in OT about Fireplace Insert Issue...complete with pics!). She was 4 years old at the time but handled the job quite well..even tipped 90 degrees! I am a big believer in the capabilities of this saw.

I also use it to cut up plywood into more manageable pieces for the TS however I've added a hardboard shoe to improve smoothness and provide mark-free cutting on expensive plywood.

However, all that said, when I free up some funds in the future and if I feel the need, my next saw purchase will be the Festool Plunge saw.

Otherwise, the Skil 77 Mag is still going strong.

Ed Falis
02-24-2004, 3:46 PM
http://www.eurekazone.org/products.html

John

That's a very interesting option, John. I already got the other company's setup, but it looks well worth considering.

- Ed

Bill Grumbine
02-24-2004, 5:43 PM
Hi Mark

Let put in my vote for Festool. I have three circular saws, a big monster Bosch drop foot, a cordless DeWalt, and now a Festool. The Bosch is great for heavy work, and the DeWalt is great for lopping off long boards before they go to the table saw, but the Festool is the besttool (sic) for sheet goods and trimming doors. I can get gluejoint quality off my Festool when cutting hardwood veneer plywood, and just this past weekend used it to trim a door. Quick, clean (with the attached vac) and smooth as can be.

Good luck with your decision.

Bill

Steve Clardy
02-24-2004, 6:34 PM
PC 743K is all I can say. Great saw. Has survived numerous trips off of roofs and walls. Steve

Dale Thompson
02-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Mark,

I don't own a circular saw. I have one of those little "cabinet" saws. Circular saws scare the heck out of me. I've had three over the years and have cut the power cord on all of them at least twice. If I HAD to get one, it would be battery powered. :o ;) What a klutz I am!! :D

Dale T.