PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....Christmas Eve Edition

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2007, 8:40 AM
Good Morning & Merry Christmas!!!!
24 Dec 2007

I hope and pray that all of you have all your Christmas shopping done, all the Christmas ift "shop" projects finished and ready for delivery.

It's a chilly 28ºF here this morning and the family is enjoying a fire in the woodstove. The kids get up and sit around the hearth warming by the fire. Twas hard to do that with a natural gas central unit, eh? :D

All of my Christmas projects have been done for about a week or so now. 1st time in a few years where I wasn't working in the shop most of the night every night to get gifts done on time. Sure was nice.!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Merry Christmas to You All!!!!!

Matt Meiser
12-24-2007, 9:18 AM
Busy weekend here. We've spent a fair amount of time over at my mom and dad's since everyone is in town for the holidays. Saturday morning I got to make a Festool run--picked up a new TS 55 EQ circular saw which I've been eyeing for a while. Sunday morning my dad picked me up and we did the Menards->Home Depot->Lowes->Menards circuit to pick up supplies for their bathroom remodel. Later in the day Mom and I went back to Lowes for the light fixture we forgot. I'm starting in on their bathroom in about 3 weeks and we are trying to get everything staged. Still need to hit the plywood and hardwood places this week with my dad.

I did spend a little time in the shop cutting the pieces for a "knock down dollhouse" that my mom designed. I forgot to take pictures, but picture the interlocking cardboard dividers in a box of jars. Only in this case, the dividers are made from 1/8" thick dry erase marker board from Lowes. There are enough pieces to make a 2-story house with 6 rooms on each floor. The idea is that my daughter (and any future grandkids from one of my other brothers) can color on the dry erase side of the board to decorate the dollhouse. Then when its time to put away it knocks down into a flat stack of boards that is easy to store. I guess Santa dropped off all the dollhouse pieces earlier in the week so Kristen could play with them yesterday.

Don Bullock
12-24-2007, 9:28 AM
Good morning Dennis, You're up early today.

Merry Christmas

I got my last Christmas present that I was making finished and wrapped yesterday afternoon. We're celebrating Christmas with some friends today, so everything had to be ready. No, I didn't take pictures. I was too bust for that and didn't realize that I forgot until they were all wrapped.:D

Thomas Knighton
12-24-2007, 9:54 AM
Unfortunately, I primarily helped my mother go through my grandmother's stuff since she passed away this past Wednesday, but we're dealing. The Creek has actually helped in that regard.

However, I did come up with a pretty cool design for my sister-in-law's hope chest/bench that will be a Christmas present next year (no where near enough time to try it this year ;)).

I can't wait to build it now :D

Tom

Jim Becker
12-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing holiday week, Dennis! You deserve a little break...

I'll be enjoying the holiday but also likely enjoying time in the shop. I have so much to do for the addition, that any time I can get out there this week will be appreciated. So it will be presents, good food and sawdust for me! (Or, more likely...shellac fumes... :D)

keith ouellette
12-24-2007, 10:36 AM
I got stuck helping the wife make scrap books as presents for her family. It is a busy time of year for her at work and of course she waited till the last minute. Tedious work.

Rod Torgeson
12-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Good morning Dennis......Happy Holidays to you and your family.

I spent some time in the shop this weekend back to pen making. I made three pens on Saturday and started a fourth. They are Black Limba, Canary Wood and Sycamore. The fourth one is spalted oak. Finished the spalted oak yesterday and it turned out very nice. These are for the Freedom Pen Project and will be sent in after the new year.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Tyler Howell
12-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Trapped by the storm. I never made it to the new place now I'm busy jockeying my trailor around trying to avoid the tow trucks and snow plows.
Merry Christmas all

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Trapped by the storm. I never made it to the new place now I'm busy jockeying my trailor around trying to avoid the tow trucks and snow plows.
Merry Christmas all

Best of luck to ya.!!!!! Wishing the best to my "North-Bro!!!!"

JayStPeter
12-24-2007, 11:54 AM
We had one Christmas celebration with my sister and parents on Saturday. But, I have been in the shop applying marine varnish to a garden bench I've been making for my mother. Usually I clean the shop top to bottom before I start applying finish to keep the dust down. This time, I was sanding until all hours last week and needed to start getting the coats on. So, I wade through the dust apply some finish and get out. Here's a couple shots of the current state of the shop. The flash makes it look much cleaner than reality.

Greg Just
12-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Merry Christmas to everyone. Just finished putting another coat of Deft oil on a bowl I turned for the wife. Not sure it will be dry, but she will understand. I was busy everynight the past 2 weeks making gifts for everyone else! The shop will be closed and cleaned on the 26th! It's long overdue!

Also had to clear the snow off the driveway this morning - winter has just started and I'm already sick of it!

Happy Holidays!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Not much of a relaxing or woodworking weekend.

Saturday......worked at work...Nice short drive on a beautiful snowy drive to work at a little hospital in eastern Washington.

Sunday......stressful long day working here in town........

Steve Clardy
12-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Worked all weekend in the shop as usual.

Merry Christmas to all.;)

Joe Mioux
12-24-2007, 6:39 PM
Well I worked as usual I did get a little shop time in on Sunday.

Did some glue ups and some cleaning up of the shop....

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season.

joe

Paul Kunkel
12-24-2007, 10:20 PM
I shut the cabinetmaking down and made a 17" Christmas wreath out of some ash. The Carvewright™ helped with the carving, stained the green & red with some fabric dye, & gave it a couple of coats of exterior poly.
Merry Christmas SMC !

Charles Wiggins
12-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, I think I just managed to burn out the arbor bearing is my TS. I was cutting a rabbet with the dado in a sacrificial fence, and the thing started screaming. At first I thought the dado was rubbing the ZCI, but it continued even after I lowered the blade. I took the belt loose from the motor and can barely move the arbor.

John Zee
12-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Luckey to get supplies. Gonna build a dog food shelter for a rescue in the Majave in CA. Going to build it like a trade show booth. Saturday will be the delivery / assemble day. For those of you who do not know about trade show booths, this kind of construction involves prebuild parts, then assemble in another place. I did this with a good friend and a playhouse. Amazingwhat can happen when a little girl goes to school and when she gets home. WALA! Instant play house. Was very cool.

Back... This supply shed/ house easy to made in sections. Just need to remember the overlaping joints and such. You have to lay it out on paper, think it out and prebuild the sections if you can and then disassemble he sections. Untill you do it a few times all kinds of little things come up that can't be forseen. Just now looking into Sketchup. Sounds/ looks great.

I'll be making sawdust this weekend and will take pics.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Just finished up a motor swap in the old truck yesterday....just in time to go to Culpepper's for our yearly steak dinner out before opening presents.

Today I have to return the shop to a woodshop so I can resume work on two blanket chests. I was going to try and have them done before Christmas, but since my motor was failing I decided it was time to replace it over my 5 day weekend.

I hope everyone got what they wanted, I got a dovetail jig and router bushing set amongst all my cool stuff!