PDA

View Full Version : Tung oil -Beall buffing question.

Chuck Nickerson
12-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Ihave applied tung oil (Deft) to a project. Now I'd like to run it through the Beall three-wax process. How long should I let the tung oil gas-off before covering it with wax?

Thanks, Chuck

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2007, 1:08 AM
Chuck - I use Watco Danish Oil, which is probably close to the same stuff, and the directions state to wait for 72 hours before top-coating. Depends on temp and humidity but an easy way to tell is to simply smell the turning. If you can still smell the oil - you need to wait. Hope that helps.

Ron McKinley
12-24-2007, 2:04 AM
I apply it and buff it out while it's spinning on the lathe at high speed. The friction creates heat and dries it quickly. I let it sit over night and then Beall buff it. But, I live in the desert and things dry quickly. Depending on your temps and humidity you may have to wait longer......Ron

Gary DeWitt
12-24-2007, 2:22 AM
There is a big difference between dry and cured. Even your typical friction polishes made for turning are only dry to the touch, not cured, and should sit some time before buffing. Oil based finishes and shellac harden further as they cure and become hard enough to buff. Pure tung oil takes a week (or more) to cure, but I bet Deft brand has drying oils in it that speed the process somewhat. How about turning a small sample of the same wood, sanding it the same as your turning, coating it with the same finish, and then try buffing it after 1 day intervals to see if it shines up. When it does, your turning is ready to buff. This way, you're not experimenting on a piece you have a lot of time in. You'll only have to do it once for that finish, then you'll know.
Good luck.

Jim Becker
12-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Unless that container says, "100% Pure Tung Oil", it's probably a wiping varnish or oil/varnish mixture. I likely doesn't contain any tung oil, too. Isn't marketing wonderful?

That said, I typically wait a week before buffing with the Beall system.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree that if it is like minwax tung oil it is just a wiping varnish. Anything like that or Danish oil, antique oil, etc. I would let cure a week before buffing even if it is put on with friction on the lathe. Pure tung oil takes a while to cure as has been said at least a week or more depending on humidity and temp.

Bill Wyko
12-24-2007, 2:12 PM
Actually I contacted Minwax about the content of tung oil in there whipe on finish. It contains 45% Tung oil along with some other ingredients. I was supprized to find that it had any. Your 3 wheels instructions say wait until it's completely dry.

Chuck Nickerson
12-24-2007, 11:57 PM
The project's not due for four weeks. So I'll let it dry for three weeks before buffing. That will give me a chance to practice with the Beall system. I've had it for a year but this will be the first time I use it.