PDA

View Full Version : A fence is a fence, but I curse the cursor!!

Clint Winterhalter
12-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Ok, so I really like my Shop Fox W1677 (Grizzly 1023). The shop fox fence classic fence came with a magnifying cursor. Does anyone know where I can pick up a NON-magnifying cursor? Between my eyes and the angle you look at the thing it’s driving me crazy!! I’m use to the normal "glasses on" / "glasses off" issue. This thing adds angle of viewing to the equations.. Not my favor goodie… HELP..
Many Thanks
Clint

john tomljenovic
12-24-2007, 12:59 AM
get some sheet acrylic or lexan from the hardware store. Cut to size; drill mounting holes and scribe a reference line filled with your favorite color ink on the bottom side. you might have to rabbit one side of your cursor to fit over the mounting bracket and still be flush with the rail. thats what I did for my powermatic fence, it was easier to make than you think.

I hate the magnifiers as well. the manufactures think they are doing you a favor, or is it more like another "feature" they can brag about. but all you have is confusion when 1/16" now looks 1/8". reminds me that the people who build don't really use thier products.

Curt Harms
12-24-2007, 4:56 AM
I made a couple indicators for shop made jigs and here's what I found. Machine as necessary. Cover the acrylic/plexi etc. with painter's tape. Cut thru the tape with a SHARP knife making a few passes, you don't want the tape to tear at all, just cut cleanly. Mark the cut with a magic marker. The tape limits the ink to the cut line and yields a clean thin line. Works for me.

HTH

Curt

Jim Solomon
12-24-2007, 8:03 PM
Agree with Curt. Exactly how I do it. I use a Sharpie fine point black for red numerals and a red fine point for black ones. Works great...for me anyway.
Jim

Lewis Shotton
12-24-2007, 8:34 PM
When I bought my 1023 about three years ago I had the same reaction to the magnifying cursor. I called Grizzly and they sent me a non-magnifying cursor, no charge. Perhaps you can do the same.

Bruce Wrenn
12-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Several have posted good tips on replacing cursor. To set cursor, rip a piece of wood, 3-4" wide. (size isn't critical) Measure wood with a dial indicator and set cursor to match measurement. Beats the heck out of trying to "ZERO" cursor to the side of the blade.