PDA

View Full Version : Late Christmas Presents

Frank Corker
12-23-2007, 9:59 PM
Well I thought I might share what I was asked to do in time for Christmas. These were going to be gifts for relatives from the two little girls used on the items.

First up was a stainless steel hip flask. The small round disk on the right of the flask is one of those collapsable cups that flick out.

Second was a set of six stainless steel coasters.

Third was going to be the simplest job, but subsequently proved to be the hardest of the lot. I was using Thuya wood, which is a beautiful aromatic wood from Morocco. It's a burl wood and the wood used is actually underground most of it's life until it is cut down. The wood actually engraves beautifully and has a gorgeous aroma to it. The problem came when I tried engraving the picture of the two girls onto it. It engraved fantastic, only problem was that the little 'black eyes' in the wood structure made the kids look like they had some sort of weird exotic disease.

So, by this time and in my mind, it was going to be a challenge. Write the piece off as a bad job or turn it into a labour of love. I hate waste and I decided that although I would not get the money for the time spent it was now a matter of pride. I decided to engrave the picture onto a slightly off white piece of 3mm acrylic. Unfortunately although 3mm would not have been my first choice, it was all I had that could possibly do. Using a bit of skill, I deftly created a pattern for the box in Corel, marked out an hexagonal shape that would cover the engraved image.

I engraved the acrylic and filled it with black acrylic paint. No problems. Then I started on the box. I lined up the box, put a piece of clear acrylic over the top and engraved the hexagonal shape so that I could be able to line the piece up exactly. Then came some heavy duty engraving. 600 dpi at 100 power 20 speed. Six or seven runs and I was down to 3mm. As you can see from the photos, it was quite a spectacular engraving, loads of burning and flames As I'm sure all of you that have engraved deeply will know that ridges appear all over the place as the laser blasts it's way through the softer laser in the wood and only touches on the harder. I then had to carefully remove the raised parts using a chisel and a bit of sandpaper. Applied a contact adhesive and the insert popped right in.

Hard work, time consuming, but my oh my, what a lovely result!

Frank Corker
12-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Next set of pictures

Frank Corker
12-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Final set of pictures

Joseph B. Chritz
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Beautiful job Frank,

By my count, you helped at least ten people have a merry Christmas, maybe more.

They all will treasure these for years.

Hard work and time consuming, yes, for most people it would be impossible.

Merry Christmas Frank, and thanks for all you do.

Stephen Beckham
12-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Frank - I always like looking at your threads.. Seems to always surprise me an give the look of ease on some super projects. Of course that usually leaves me with less time to do what I need to do because you inspire me to try things that otherwise wouldn't cross my mind...

Nice presents, eh - labor of love....:rolleyes: I'll have to remember that one.... Should by a few bonus points on the idea of the gifts...

Merry Christmas,
Steve

Eric Allen
12-24-2007, 12:57 AM
As always, skill to be jealous of Frank:) Beautiful work...

Garry McKinney
12-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Great Job !

Merry Christmas Frank . I am sure you made a lot of people very happy .

Garry

Frank Corker
12-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the nice comments and Merry Christmas to everyone I hope you all have a great time

Thinus Rabie
12-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow !! Great job Frank ,as always!!

Thad Nickoley
12-24-2007, 9:39 PM
Frank, you are "da man"!!!

Merry Christmas To All!!

Scott Perry
12-24-2007, 9:52 PM
Nice job, Frank.
Merry Christmas to all!

Bill Cunningham
12-27-2007, 8:50 PM
Jeeezzz I thought my monitor was filling up with smoke there for a minute..:D.. They look great Frank..When your doing for family, it matters not how long it takes, or what you have to do to get the results.. It's all the smiles, on all the faces, that count in the end...The hours spent on a labour of love have a totally different kind of payment.....