Made from a mulberry branch section.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/discus1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/discus.jpg

7-1/4" tall, largest diameter 3"

Thanks for looking
Bob

Al Killian
12-23-2007, 9:47 PM
WOW, I would like to know how you did that. I have seen thinks similar, but where carved.

Brett Baldwin
12-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I think Andy sent him a case of Moxie and he just hasn't developed the tolerance yet.

Pretty cool turning there Bob.

Bill Wyko
12-24-2007, 1:04 AM
Very nice. How many axis' did you use 5 or 6? It almost looks like a cartoon where someone is trying to balance a stack of platters. A++

Tim Malyszko
12-24-2007, 8:55 AM
Now that is cool. Nice work.

robert hainstock
12-24-2007, 9:43 AM
Every time I see something like that I count my fingers. niiiice one. :D:D
Bob

Jim Becker
12-24-2007, 9:46 AM
Very nice!!! I've not tried multi-axis yet, but find it intriguing. I really should do it sometime, however, especially since I live around the corner from one of the multi-axis masters...Mark Sffiri

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2007, 9:49 AM
That is cool. I have often thought about trying that.

Gordon Seto
12-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Bob,

A nice piece and a difficult one as well. There seems to be quite a bit of off-set, and the clearance angles are narrow.
Are you near the MA master? Mark Sfirri is excellent.

Gordon

Rich Souchek
12-24-2007, 11:19 AM
:eek: :eek:
DO YOU KNOW ALCOHOL AND TURNING DO NOT MIX!!!!!!! :p

:D :D

lOOKS LIKE A DRUNK TURNED SOME THREADS.......
Rich S.

Dan Forman
12-24-2007, 5:29 PM
That makes me dizzy!

Dan

Charles Hannemann
12-26-2007, 5:46 PM
What pills were you taking.... I want some! Maybe its the wackee weed... lol Looks a little like a 6 banger crankshaft that has blow a rod!!!! How many axis did you use?

Great Job
Charles

Bob Opsitos
12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think I used about 6 axes, progressing from one side of the blank to the other in a line. I shifted the axes on both ends similarlly. I was attempting to make it look like the centers of the discs were on a curved axis (like a smile but vertical). I don't think I quite got that, but I still like it. I did bleed a little, one of the edges caught me while sanding.

Mark Sfirri's work was definetly inspirational, especially a past article in Woodworks that I paid close attention to. This is the 5th multi-axis turning I've done, the first turned out ok with some carving and sanding, the 2nd and 3rd were aborted because i didn't turn them correctly (I didn't quite understand was the correct multi-axis method was) and had to do far to much carving to blend the sections together. The 4th was a turning insipred by the Sfirri's article about a multi-axis candle stick. That one finally allowed the process to gel better in my head.

What i've found is that you want to turn down the section your working on down to round on that shifted axis, leaving no unturned wood. On some of trhe peices I was not turning the section completely round and had to do a lot of blending via files to get it to look better. Even so, it never looked quite what I had envisioned.

You also need to think about what your section will look like when turned down and how that will effect the next section. I also leave the ends intact as long as possible so I have the ability to shift the axis.

The recent issue of american woodturner has a very good multi-axis article.

Thanks
bob