PDA

View Full Version : Santa came earily with a little sander for me!

chris del
12-23-2007, 7:17 PM
For the past couple of months I had been looking for a good condition Rockwell disc/belt sander without much luck.
I came across a deal on a new Delta 31-735A sander that was too good to pass up so I took it home. Its not a rockwell but my first impression is that these new Deltas are very well made. Absolutely no plastic. All handles and knobs are steel. Lots of cast iron.
This unit has a 12" disc, 6x48" belt. 1.5hp 230V with its own self contained blower/dust collector with bag.
These sanders are so much more aggressive and easier to use than my oscillating spindle sander and are great tools for many woodworking applications.
This tool will get much use in my shop.

For those of you that have one of these or the 31-300 can you explain what the 2 holes are for in the disc table???
Also, any tips regarding the machine or what type of sanding belts/discs are best would be appreciated.

Doug Shepard
12-23-2007, 8:33 PM
That Santa dude can be very cool. I think the holes are for attaching a long circle jig extension that Delta sells. I've got the similar Sanding Center and know the accesory will fit it. My guess is that they made they holes on yours also for it.

Bill Huber
12-23-2007, 8:45 PM
Man I am glad he didn't bring you a big sander.....

Great looking sander and I am sure it will get good use.

I have kind of a dumb question on sanders of this type.

When would you use the disk and when do you use the best.
I have a small Delta belt/disk and I never use the disk and was just wondering when I should be using it.

Doug Shepard
12-23-2007, 8:47 PM
Couldn't seem to find it on Delta's site but found it on Amazon
I think the holes are for attaching this
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-31-287-Circle-Sanding-31-280/dp/B00002236T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1198460767&sr=1-1

chris del
12-23-2007, 9:07 PM
Man I am glad he didn't bring you a big sander.....

Great looking sander and I am sure it will get good use.

I have kind of a dumb question on sanders of this type.

When would you use the disk and when do you use the best.
I have a small Delta belt/disk and I never use the disk and was just wondering when I should be using it.

I find the disc a great tool for making templates and patterns. I also use it for fitting shaker box tops and bottoms and tweaking miter joints as in a picture frame.
I am sure there are a million uses.

Here is a pic of shaker box forms that I made with my old disc sander.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/pickeringwoodworker/DSC03537.jpg

chris del
12-23-2007, 9:08 PM
Couldn't seem to find it on Delta's site but found it on Amazon
I think the holes are for attaching this
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-31-287-Circle-Sanding-31-280/dp/B00002236T/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1198460767&sr=1-1

Thanks for posting that Doug but I cant see investing in that accessory any time soon.

Doug Shepard
12-23-2007, 9:12 PM
Thanks for posting that Doug but I cant see investing in that accessory any time soon.

Me neither. I was a bit shocked at the cost though. It used to be around $100. Did you get a set of pivot pins and block that locks into the perpendicular miter slot with yours? That's the setup for doing smaller circles. Cant tell you the number of times I've used that. If it didn't come with, that's one accesory kit worth getting.

chris del
12-23-2007, 9:18 PM
Me neither. I was a bit shocked at the cost though. It used to be around $100. Did you get a set of pivot pins and block that locks into the perpendicular miter slot with yours? That's the setup for doing smaller circles. Cant tell you the number of times I've used that. If it didn't come with, that's one accesory kit worth getting.

It did come with that. Looks like I can do up to a 12" radius. (24" diameter)

Don Bullock
12-23-2007, 9:24 PM
Wow, I wonder if Santa is delivering those to all the "good" woodworkers on his list. Congratulations.:D

Bruce Page
12-23-2007, 10:04 PM
You must have been a very good boy. I have an older version of the sander, they are very handy to have around.

chris del
12-24-2007, 8:48 PM
That Santa dude can be very cool. I think the holes are for attaching a long circle jig extension that Delta sells. I've got the similar Sanding Center and know the accesory will fit it. My guess is that they made they holes on yours also for it.

Doug, do you remember the factory belt having a very poor seam? Every time it comes around it knocks my stock up in the air. Thump, thump, thump.....
I have replaced it with a quality belt and the problem is gone.

Al Killian
12-24-2007, 9:18 PM
Two things, First that sander was supposed to go to my house.:p Second, I would make covers sor each sander. This way you can use one and dont have to worry about bumping into the other one.

Doug Shepard
12-25-2007, 5:59 AM
Doug, do you remember the factory belt having a very poor seam? Every time it comes around it knocks my stock up in the air. Thump, thump, thump.....
I have replaced it with a quality belt and the problem is gone.

I picked mine up used. The original factory belt was probably long gone.

Walt Caza
12-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Nice score Chris,
Now that machine is gonna come in handy...put her to work!
Maybe I should have behaved myself better this year... rats.
Merry Christmas,
Walt
:)

Rick Gifford
12-25-2007, 7:57 PM
Dude, I clicked your thread thinking you got a new orbital sander or something. That is really nice!

Congrats on the new toy!