PDA

View Full Version : Custom Built Powermatic TOO COOL!!!!

Dave Lehnert
12-23-2007, 6:11 PM
Thought this was interesting. Custom built Powermatic 2066 table saw now available. Custom paint and all... Way too cool.

http://www.woodwerks.com/pmc.php

Tim Marks
12-23-2007, 6:28 PM
but why would you want it any color but gold?

Dave Lehnert
12-23-2007, 6:37 PM

Just like Henry Ford. Who would buy a car in something other than Black?

Rob Bodenschatz
12-23-2007, 6:59 PM

Let's say you're gonna use it to separate frozen hamburgers:

Keith Cope
12-23-2007, 7:06 PM
Well, being a Missouri Tiger alum I think black and gold would be a great combination!

Rob Bodenschatz
12-23-2007, 7:11 PM
Well, being a Missouri Tiger alum I think black and gold would be a great combination!

I prefer:

Jim Becker
12-23-2007, 8:05 PM
The Happy Valley special, eh, Rob?? :D

Rob Bodenschatz
12-23-2007, 8:40 PM
The Happy Valley special, eh, Rob?? :D

You know you love it. :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-23-2007, 9:23 PM
They'll paint it and give you a label?
That's not exactly custom. Now an iron top made to the geometry you want with holes where you want- - say for your router etc. That might be custom

Jim Becker
12-23-2007, 9:30 PM
I kinda agree with you, Cliff...it would be much more accurate to bill this as a custom paint option, although they are having the tables Blanchard ground as part of the deal and mention a motor, too. I'm not sure that's a huge value add.

Bill Bryant
12-23-2007, 11:20 PM
What I want to know is whether they can guarantee that the blade stays in the same plane when raised and lowered. I'd pay extra to know it's dead on like it ought to be.

Bill Bryant
12-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Another question. Does the Asian iron get another run through the grinder, or is it American iron? And is it stable? Either way, no point grinding again unless the iron is finished moving and is stable.

Mike Marcade
12-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I couldn't find LSU purple on that chart! :mad:

John Hain
12-23-2007, 11:56 PM

Why reduce the resale value by painting it Mizzou colors when you could automatically increase its value by painting it Husker Red and White?

:p

Todd Jensen
12-24-2007, 3:10 AM
For $3500, are you just better off getting a Sawstop? Or is the Powermatic that superior of a saw?

pat fowler
12-24-2007, 5:29 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=77779&d=1198455050Rob, As a kentucky native I think your color choice is perfect

Bob Genovesi
12-24-2007, 6:42 AM

Tim,

Quite frankly I'm surprised at your comment. Don't you color coordinate your shop? I mean what has happened to woodworking? All of the manufactures have gone to great lengths to assist us is this area.

Porter Cable - Gray
Jet - White
Hitachi - Green
Dewalt - Yellow
Bosch - Blue
Milwaukee - Red
Powermatic - Gold
Steel City - Silver

Sorry, just having some fun here......:D :D :D

Rick Gifford
12-24-2007, 6:50 AM
Whoo wee! It would be cheaper to paint it yourself :p

I think Steelers colors would be great!

Doug Shepard
12-24-2007, 7:36 AM
So for a few thousand extra I can get some optional equipment and custom paint and get one that looks like this?

Sign me up.

Bob Feeser
12-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I think a good point was made, that if you ever go to resell it, it is a repaint, instead of an original. What was this thing in an accident?

I do not know how PM paints their saws, but in the automotive industry, they spray them with a type of paint, that you can't even get over the counter. They bake the naked shell at temperatures that are way up there, something like 500 degrees, although I am not sure of the exact number. That produces a finish that is rock hard. If they make a mistake, I understand they pull it off the production line, and a regular paint shop, just like a body shop does a repaint, or a spot repair, using regular urethanes. (Most common these days) The air dry, or baked finishes that are done by your local shop, with the car fully assembled, do not exceed 160 degrees, or therabouts. So why am I mentioning this? If PM uses a high temp bake on finish, it is going to be far more resistant to chipping and stains etc.

If you are restoring a piece of equipment, and repainting it, that is great. It goes from dull to fabulous, and it has that cast iron, old world quality, but taking a new world quality saw and refinishing it is not on my list of priorities.

I do not know what the mentioned value added reseller is using for paint, or procedure for that matter. Additionally, the decals would all have to come off in order to do a decent job, then replaced, as well as a disassembly of a lot of the attachments.

I do like some of the mod pictures of the 66 that others have posted here. A different color bottom creates a roaring 20's look, something that hints at the heritage of the saw. Well done. Just my 2 cents.

Tim Marks
12-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Quite frankly I'm surprised at your comment.
ok, I am weakening. Maybe I can get that PM2066 in a nice Grizzly green....

Ken Werner
12-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Boy, do I not get it. Custom paint on a TS? Sheesh.

John Schreiber
12-24-2007, 1:04 PM
Yah, like I want to have my wife pick the colors of my table saw.

Al Killian
12-24-2007, 6:37 PM
When I seen this thread I was thinking of a powermatic 20" custom bs, but I don't think different flavors of paint would be custom. The bs had a longer beam made for this guy so he could do large resawing( I think it was close to 18"). Now that was a beast of a machine.

glenn bradley
12-24-2007, 7:07 PM
BooWah-Ha-Ha-Ha . . . That's just where I want to put my tool money; into a $460 paint job. Hahahahaha. . . . one born every minute. Heh-heh-heh . . . . whoooo- ***whew *** I needed that.

John Hain
12-24-2007, 10:17 PM
BooWah-Ha-Ha-Ha . . . That's just where I want to put my tool money; into a $460 paint job. Hahahahaha. . . . one born every minute. Heh-heh-heh . . . . whoooo- ***whew *** I needed that.

......and don't forget you can put your name on it. That way, if you ever misplace it, someone will know who's it is.

;)