PDA

View Full Version : hidden vector lines engraving

Craig Hogarth
12-23-2007, 3:34 PM
I have a graphic here that I took apart from another graphic. I removed the blocks from the original graphic, smart filled the areas i wanted engraved, put a hairline on it, created a boundary, filled with white, and placed behind the blocks. I moved the blocks into the current position and when i engraved, it vector engraved the lines hidden behind the white object.

I've redrawn it, so i'm good on the graphics part. I'm wondering why it does this. Is there something i'm missing?

Peter Boyford
12-23-2007, 3:47 PM
The vectors are still sent to the engraver. This also would happen on a cutting plotter. It is not enough, that there are not visible to the eye (i.e. on screen) - they actually need not to be there at all.

If there might be a simple solution within Corel Draw, I don't know it. But it seems also rather logical, that the program would send the hidden vectors, as it would presume that the output device knows how to handle this (generic postscript) behaviour.

Bet regards
Peter

Eric Allen
12-23-2007, 4:29 PM
If I remember right, if you want to keep the lines and not print them in Corel, you have to set the lines to no-fill. I forgot to do this on some wooden Christmas cards I just ran, thankfully I only messed up 2. Forgot to no fill or delete them.

Peter Boyford
12-23-2007, 4:35 PM
No-fill? A line does not have a fill. An object does. Do you mean to set the line color to none? In that case it would be necessary to clip the line at the places, where it needs to change color to "transparant".

/Peter

Rodne Gold
12-23-2007, 4:49 PM
Easy fix: Convert the graphic to a bitmap
2nd fix: Put the new stuff on a new layer and turn off the old layer.

Eric Allen
12-23-2007, 4:53 PM
No-fill? A line does not have a fill. An object does. Do you mean to set the line color to none? In that case it would be necessary to clip the line at the places, where it needs to change color to "transparant".

/Peter

Yep, that's what I meant to say:) I would have figured that out, but I'm on the laptop today and my dockers are messed up on there. I forgot how to get them back, but I only do basic design on here and finish up at home most of the time:)

Craig Hogarth
12-23-2007, 7:23 PM
I want to keep the lines. I like to vector engrave around an image to make it stand out more....

I've never used layers and I think it's bout time i start figuring out how those work

Mike Null
12-23-2007, 8:44 PM
See if you don't have a clipart setting in your driver. That may solve your problem.

Rodne Gold
12-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Outlining using vector engraving is likely to slow things down substantially as well as radically increasing the chance of an error , spot sizes will be at most .07" so your outlines will b e hairlines themselves. If you converted to greyscale or a bitmap you can make those outlines more substantial.
If you used photograv or my method of emulating photograv to convert to bitmap, the outlines would be enhanced as there is a lot of edge detection/enhancement involved.

In essence , your machine SHOULD only engrave what you see on screen , if you had to print that page or graphic , you wouldnt see those hidden vectors, and lasers are merely printers.