PDA

View Full Version : Shellac ?

Andrew Nemeth
12-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I will be finishing several small lacewood jewelery boxes with shellac as recommended by several people here at the creek.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71964

Given that I am trying to get them done by Christmas day should I use the bullet premixed shellac or do I have time to mix dry flakes. I have a woodcraft right around the corner and wanted to get my first couple coats on tonight. What cut of shellac should I be using for the first, buildup, and top coats? I don't mind reducing the cut of the premixed shellac if that is what it will take to get a good finish.

Thanks,

Andrew

Joel Ficke
12-23-2007, 12:34 PM
You'll get a lot of varied responses to this, but....

One of the advantages of mixing from flakes is you can choose from a variety of colors, black, garnet, orange, blonde, ultra blonde etc, whereas, most premixed is orange. Also, you know the entire history of the shellac. It does take a little while to dissolve though. If you grind up the flakes (I use a coffee grinder), they will go into solution faster. Allow at least several hours though.

If you really want a few coats on yet today, perhaps apply the initial layers from premixed and the rest of the body from your own mix.

In either case, brushing is fairly easy with 1 to 2 lb cut. Anything thicker than that gives me trouble. Also, if the brush starts to drag after you've applied multiple coats, walk away for a while and allow the under coats to harden before adding more.

Are you planning to pad the last layers or just level with sandpaper and rub out?

Steven Wilson
12-23-2007, 12:40 PM
And you're starting today and haven't ever used shellac before? Good Luck ! If you're trying a finish for the first time you really need to practice your entire sanding/finishing schedule on scrap first, then try it on your project.

If I'm only doing a shellac finish I wouldn't have a problem using the premixed Zinsers after cutting it first - assuming that the color of the premixed stuff suits you.. Since you have no experience I would go with a 1 1/2 lb cut for all coats. As for flakes, if you grind the flakes with a coffee grinder (cheap Braun mill works great), mix with alcohol in a wide mouth mason jar, shake often, and keep the shellac in a hot water bath, you should be able to use it after 8-12 hours. You will need to shake and/or stir often, and keep it warm for it all to mix.

Jim Becker
12-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Although I find shellac easy to use, more or less, Steve is correct that there is at least a small learning curve...you cannot work it like you can varnish. It dries way to quickly for that. The good news is that your projects are small and that will help you out a lot...large surfaces are much harder to learn the technique. (I spray those)

As to your specific question, pre-mixed makes sense given your time frame. I do like mixing my own for the color control, but most of the time, frankly, I use Sealcoat de-waxed out of the can since I'm using so much these days. You need to buy a GOOD brush and dedicate it for shellac. You'll also need denatured alcohol for cutting the product as well as cleaning up. You don't need to get 100% of the shellac out of your dedicated brush...just get most of it...as it will re-melt upon contact with shellac the next time. I use the Purdy brushes and keep the little cover over my brush between sessions. I also have the handle marked relative to the dedication. One for de-waxed and one for waxy shellac...never mix brushes.

Steve Milito
12-23-2007, 6:19 PM
I will be finishing several small lacewood jewelery boxes with shellac as recommended by several people here at the creek.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71964

Given that I am trying to get them done by Christmas day should I use the bullet premixed shellac or do I have time to mix dry flakes. I have a woodcraft right around the corner and wanted to get my first couple coats on tonight. What cut of shellac should I be using for the first, buildup, and top coats? I don't mind reducing the cut of the premixed shellac if that is what it will take to get a good finish.

Thanks,

Andrew
I will preface this with a disclaimer: I'm a novice.
The 1st time I used shellac I bought flakes from Woodcraft, and threw them in a glass jar to make a 2lb cut. I week later they still had not dissolved ( avg temp 75F). A week later, they were 90% dissolved. It was hard to strain, but I got it to work.
The 2nd time I ground them in a coffee grinder until I had a powder. I tried the same 2lb cut. At 3 days I was about 80%, and at 6 days it was mostly dissolved. I strained out the solids, and it sprayed real nice. I was about a quart shy to finish the inside of the drawers, so I bought pre-mixed for that purpose. I like the color of the stuff I mixed myself, but the pre-mix was OK.
My experience suggests that you need to plan well ahead if you want to dissolve flakes. I doubt you have time to dissolve flakes. Oh, don't forget to grind the flakes, it not an optional step.

Jesse Cloud
12-23-2007, 6:27 PM
I just finished a small rush project using cherry. Bought a spray can of Zinsser's Bullseye shellac from Home Disappointment. Sprayed on 5 coats, rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool impregnated with paste wax. Looks great and its ready for Christmas.