PDA

View Full Version : Visited a few other ww forums.....

Dennis Peacock
02-23-2004, 12:34 AM
Well....yes....I have ventured out of the "home turf" and tippy-toed over to a couple ww forums. My experiences?

SMC, WC and Wood appear to be tops of the internet ww forums. There are LOTS of others out there that are doing fairly well. I stumbled onto a ww forum where the 2nd post in most forums was from Jan 2004 and most messages were scattered over many months. A question was asked in June 2003 and answered in Nov 2003...and the ONLY reply to that message.!!! I registered on that forum, posted a few posts and got ZERO responses and ZERO feedback and not even a HOWDY.!!!!!!

No wonder they have over 2100 registered members but only 1 or 2 people EVER on the forum in any given 24 hour period.

Now, don't go and get me wrong on any of this. There are a LOT of other ww forums out there that are doing very well. I just haven't experienced a WELCOME by any that I have joined. I guess I'll be another one of those registered members that never goes back.

Makes one very thankful for SMC, WC, Wood, Woodnet and TheWoodworkers forums for being friendly, kind, curtious and considerate.

I guess I could say that venturing out from "home turf" was like traveling back overseas again ALONE and nobody to talk to or see and can't speak the language. I guess I'll just have to stay "at home" and enjoy my real family and friends. :D

Mike Evertsen
02-23-2004, 8:45 AM
The three I go to are SMC,woodnet and wood on-line,,,
when I first stated out on on-line the first ones I found
where the rec and a couple on yahoo groups,,,,

Bobby Hatfield
02-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Well....yes....I have ventured out of the "home turf" and tippy-toed over to a couple ww forums. :D

You missed Woodweb, The Oak, and Cabinetmaker sites. These mostly small to large shop owners, not all business, but almost.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-23-2004, 3:13 PM
Dennis
You'll always get a Howdy from me.
I live in "South Western" Pennsylvania.
Daniel :D

Terry Stapleton
02-23-2004, 5:24 PM
I live in central western PA.

Terry

Doug Jones
02-23-2004, 7:41 PM
Just to let you know, The Wood Cellar is also a friendly place. Its relatively new and a great bunch of woodworkers. Not to take away from this place its just as great.

Kurt Aebi
02-23-2004, 7:53 PM
I have found that Justwoodworking (mostly scrollers) and woodworkersweb have nice people and not a lot of posts, but there are the "regulars" that are trying to keep it going.
Woodworkersweb is pretty active every evening in the chat - much more than the forums.

I don't check every day and saw Dennis' thread and made sure that I responded to it.

Dennis is a great resource and I hop he checks in once ina while to help our other friends on other forums.

Thanks Dennis - The "Dreek" is still #1 in my book, but I will still check with the scrollers as I enjoy that type of woodworking also.

Richard Gillespie
02-23-2004, 9:16 PM
Of the four or five woodworking forums I visit, I feel the most comfortable here at the Creek. I find the replies to questions, even those that have been asked in one form or another many times are pleasantly answered.

I feel thanks must be extended to the founders and moderators of this forum. They have set the tone that we follow.

Jim Young
02-23-2004, 11:03 PM
For the last year this has been the only site I visit. Before that it was Badger Pond. I used to take a look over at WC and The Oak but I couldn't even tell you if they still exist now. The format and people here suit me. I may not be a big poster but I do pay attention to what is said.

Michael Cody
02-24-2004, 9:43 AM
Well....yes....I have ventured out of the "home turf" and tippy-toed over to a couple ww forums. My experiences?

:D

SMC & WoodCentral are my favorites -- The Oak is little too virulent for me personally and I've noted the few times I dropped over there, the traffic is way down from what it when Kip was alive...

I like the software here better than WC and the content is pretty equal. Though Ellis over @ WoodCentral had Frank Klausz last nite on a chat session and Lonnie Bird will be there in the near future. They've had Jeff Jewitt, Ellsworth, etc.. he's got a pretty good list of folks for that kind of stuff.

Both sites are worth visiting on a regular basis and I can't say one is better, both are valuable and from the number of cross-posts I suspect I am not alone in that thought.

Phil Phelps
02-26-2004, 8:47 AM
I registered on that forum, posted a few posts and got ZERO responses and ZERO feedback and not even a HOWDY.!!!!!!
:D
Dennis. You should not post that first avatar you had on those forums. No wonder :D :D :D :D