PDA

View Full Version : Cutting tapers on sliding table saw?

Bill Reed
12-23-2007, 8:26 AM
I made a jig for cutting tapered table legs on my old American-style table saw but am getting a new sliding table saw next year and am wondering how to do this cut.

Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-23-2007, 10:07 AM
tis so easy you'll weep.

There are so many ways to skin that cat.
I use a block of ply 2 thicknesses of 3/4" about 24" long by oh I don't know ( I never measured) 8" wide?

In it are 3 holes along the side that fronts the blade. Those holes are counterbored underneath to accept some long 1/4" bolt heads (I could epoxy the heads in place instead I made the holes undersize and pounded 'em in so they are tight.

I made 3 hold downs from maple to go wiht the 3 1/4 bolts.

The block has a couple of slots in it at each end that allow me to clamp the ends to the sat table ( make T nuts from steel or Alum and tap 'em 3/8-16)

I set it on the angle I want the distance from the blade I want.

I clamp one more piece to the table anything will do as all it is, is a stop at the operator end of the slider to ensure the work doesn't slip backward as the blade cuts.

Clamp the work in place using the three hold downs the work impinges up against the block, push the work against that little fixed stop and cut.

Your hands ain't nowhere near the blade. You pull the rig back take the piece out and install another and cut again. Deadly precise repeat cuts are supremely easy.

Jim Becker
12-23-2007, 10:15 AM
My solution was to also create a jig, but it mounts on the slider, rather than slides along the fence. It's not fancy at all...frankly, I tack some 1/4" MDF to the 1/2" plywood base that is mounted to the wagon. That's used to position the workpiece. I just use one of the normal slider clamps to hold the workpiece in place during the cut. For those couple of projects that tend to be repeats for me...I'll rebuild my dedicated jig left from the cabinet saw so it's compatible with slider mounting. One nice thing about doing it on the slider is that the results are even more consistent since the jig cannot move laterally even slightly as it can when you run it along a fence.