PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Metal Detectors

James Jones
12-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Looking for information as to the best metal detector for use of recycled wood. I have never used one before and don't know anything about them. Your suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

JamesHuntsville

Brian Penning
12-23-2007, 5:49 AM
I got a wand type from Radio Shack(Circuit City?). Works great and is super sensitive.
Lee Valley also sells them.

Ted Christiansen
12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
I just bought the Lumber Wizard III (the long wand looking one) and it works great.

This is the same metal detector used in the NYW show.

Ted

Brian Dormer
12-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I got a detector from WoodCraft - it's probably saved my jointer knives a half-dozen times in the last year.

Al Killian
12-23-2007, 2:58 PM
Lumber wizard for boards and one that detects buried stuff for logs.

Mike Marcade
12-23-2007, 3:45 PM
I just use a circular saw with a cheap blade, when you see sparks or hear richochet sounds you just detected metal. :D

"Jason Belous"
12-23-2007, 4:03 PM
I pretty much deal strictly in recliamed lumber. The wizard is the way to go it will set you back about $100 but will save you in the long run. The wizard will read about 4" deep into any wood. This is only have the battle to reclaimed lumber. Hog dust and grime will do equally as much damage on your tools. I built a wire brush unit with a power feeder similar to a dru m sander for cleaning the wood first. If you are only using it now and then just get a good wire brush and scrub it and then blow it off with an air compressor. This should also be done with rough sawn lumber as well.

Rick Lizek
12-24-2007, 8:27 AM
Most metal detectord only approximate the location, get the Zircon metalliscanner 6.0, it zeros in on the metal. We use it in the professional recycled wood industry.