PDA

View Full Version : Plane till - busy day

Marcus Ward
12-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I had not much lumber left today and nothing I could build furniture-wise for the house with it so I built a plane till. I had been eyeing some of the ones posted here for a while and while I have enough storage for my planes in my bench (and there are a lot still in there), I really wanted to build a till for the ones I acquired but don't use often to free up some space in the bench. I put this together all in one day, including finishing (I love shellac). I am bushed!

The sides are walnut, the rest is white oak. There is some sapwood on the walnut, hence the light colored fronts. I put the shellac on with a blue shirt and it ended up with a green tint that I really like. Last picture shows the hanger for the braces and my saw till that I shellaced too while I was at it.

Must sleep now. :)

http://www.f-64.org/bench/planetill1.jpg

http://www.f-64.org/bench/planetill2.jpg

http://www.f-64.org/bench/planetill3.jpg

Dave Anderson NH
12-23-2007, 7:21 AM
Nice job Marcus. I see you've added some brace storage at the bottom. Great way to use some otherwise useless air space.

Jim Becker
12-23-2007, 9:50 AM
Looks very happy next to it's partner! Nice job. I look forward to the day when I have enough (usable) planes to justify a till for my shop...LOL

Ken Werner
12-23-2007, 10:44 AM
nice work Marcus.

Corvin Alstot
12-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Great job and amazing speed too!

Bob Noles
12-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Nice job Marcus. I really wish I had some available wall space to do those. They look perfect for the purpose.

Marcus Ward
12-23-2007, 8:40 PM
Busy Day Pt II - I made this today. It's not quite finished, but getting close. I was making bench dogs for my bench so all the holes have one and I don't have to transfer them around and using pieces of an old bandsaw blade with the teeth ground off as springs to keep them in place. I remembered someone made a bow saw from an old bandsaw blade so I looked up some info on the internet and made one. I've still got to do some... ugh, sanding (no other way to do it) but it's together and works. Thanks for all the kind words on the till, guys.

http://www.f-64.org/saw.jpg

jonathan snyder
12-23-2007, 9:55 PM
Marcus,

Nice till, but you did not leave much room for more tool acquisitions!!!.

Frame saw looks nice too. What did you use for the hardware, or did you make it yourself? I see that TFWW sells the hardware. I have been thinking about ordering it, as I have been wanting to make one also, just have not gotten around to it yet.

Jonathan

Marcus Ward
12-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Jonathan - Thanks. I have a lot of room for expansion in the drawers in the bench and the shelves on that thing... plus I could just build another till you know. ;) One of those #5s is a gift for my step-dad so there's a free slot there.

I made the hardware. I stole the handle off an el cheapo scroll saw and used bolts with slots cut in them and holes drilled crossways through them to hold the blade. I pinned it with finishing nails. It works pretty well, but I have to figure out how to keep the handle from turning. I'm thinking of grinding a flat spot in the bolt and inserting some sort of peg to keep it still. Also that bandsaw blade is kind of rough on the cut. I think I'd like one with more teeth and less set.

James Mittlefehldt
12-24-2007, 7:00 AM
I second what Dave said about the hanger for the braces, if I build a cupboard for a saw till I wil include that feature into it good idea Marcus, and nice tills to.

Don C Peterson
12-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Marcus,

I really like what you've done with the place... Very nice.

Zahid Naqvi
12-24-2007, 10:14 AM
You did good Marcus, I agree with others about the usefulness of the brace storage. Mine is made from MDF painted white.

Phillip Pattee
12-24-2007, 4:17 PM
The plane till and the saw till both look great. Now you have to build a storage spot for the frame saw too. Or will that fit in your saw till somehow? Looks like you have some luthiery project going on too. You are certainly busy in the shop.

Marcus Ward
12-24-2007, 9:09 PM
Ah the bow saw will just hang on the wall next to the plane till for now. They're kind of unwieldy for the normal saw till. Yeah I do a bit of luthiery too, mostly repairs and modifications. As long as I'm busy I'm happy. :) Don you oughta stop by some time and make some shavings if you're ever in the area. Door is always open and the beer is free.