PDA

View Full Version : Setting up shop

Greg Peterson
12-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Had I realized everything required to get even a modest wood shop operational, I would have likely been overwhelmed and stuck to playing guitars and building amps.

Been a slow go and still have a couple more things to get before I consider the shop fully operational.

To those new to the endeavor or considering the hobby, here is my advice:

You can never have too many clamps.

Dust collection isn't just a matter of keeping the shop clean, but it definitely helps.

You can never have enough outlets.

You can never have enough light.

Garages are hot in the summer, cold in the winter. I can heat the shop to a comfortable temperature, but cooling it is a different matter.

You can never have enough clamps.

Cheap tools never perform the way you think they do. However, expensive tools do. Go figure.

Hearing and eye protection, for me, allows me to concentrate on the task at hand without filtering out the noise or mentally guarding against something flying into my eyes. Creates safer work habits.

Sometimes knowing how to undo, minimize or cover up a mistake is more important to the project than making a perfect cut.

Sanding and finishing a project are pretty important. Probably better consider what type of finish your project will have before you start.

You can never have enough clamps.

Have at least a block plane.

Learn how to sharpen tools. You're going to be doing it often.

Hang in there. It's not always about having enough money. Mostly it's about knowing what tools will serve you best. Each person works differently and not everyone needs a sliding table saw or a 17" band saw.

And my single most important principle on any project: People should want to touch it. It's a compliment to me when someone unconsciously runs their hands along the contours of the piece. A wood piece should be warm, soft and inviting.

Thanks for allowing my indulgence. I've been working at setting up my shop for a couple of years now and while the going is slow, when I stop and take stock of my progress, I'm better off than I give myself credit for.

Don Bullock
12-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Very well said. Post some pictures when you get your shop "finished."

Lee Koepke
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Excellent points. Being new to woodworking, each of those points are valid.

Patience is another key I am learning.

Scot Ferraro
12-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Very well said indeed. I agree that woodworking is a very tactile art and I think the things I make should be touched.

Scot