PDA

View Full Version : Milling legs for workbench - Did I Goof?

Brian Dormer
12-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I just finished milling stock to make trestles for a workbench I'm building. The stretchers will be held to the trestle legs with Veritas Bench Bolts.

Without making the story too long, the lumber came from a workbench I inherited from my uncle - so it has great sentimental value, besides being 50 year old fir (very dense, straight, tight grain - way better than the stuff BORG carries today). I had to glue the 2-by stock up to get pieces thick enough for building trestles. The plans I'm (loosely) following specify 2 1/2 square.

I discovered during my milling operations that I could get my rails to 2 1/2 inches square (good 'nuff). On the legs - I was able to get 2 1/2 x 3 (even better) I confirmed that all the stock is milled within the tolerance of my best digital calipers (.01 inch) :cool: - I *WAS* so pleased with myself....

Then I discovered my (possible) goof - The 3 inch dimension on the leg needs to be in line with the trestle rails (since the rails are only 2 1/2 inches wide). BUT that puts the glue line of the leg IN LINE with where I have to drill the hole for the bench bolt that will connect the stretchers. :eek:

As it stands, the center line of the bench bolt will go right thru the glue-line. What I'm worried about is the force of the bench bolt causing the glue line to split. I had planned to drill perpendicular to the glue-line, so the bench bolt would be forcing the glue joint together.

Should I be worried about splitting that glue line or not? :confused: (Is this a case of - "If you have to ask the question - you already know the answer")

FYI - the glue ups were jointed flat, glued with a fresh bottle of Titebond II and left clamped for a minimum of 24 hours. Both mating surfaces were glued - glue was spread with a roller to ensure complete, even coverage.

IF the consensus is that the leg could split - I'll have to shave off 1/2 inch (which I'll hate to waste) to make the legs 2.5 square (just like the rails). On the bright side, that's the last thing I was cutting on my TS - so I'm set up to rip to 2 1/2 inches if I need to - and everything will match up perfectly (and the trestle will still be plenty strong). I put a big "DO NOT CHANGE SETUP" sign on the TS to remind me not to change anything just yet.

David Epperson
12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
So long as your bolt is going thru a good stout washer to transmit the force over a wide area, I don't think you'll have a problem. But if it still bothers you you could bolt the 2 pieces together just below or above the screw for the stretchers. You won't split the joint held by both glue and screws.

Dan Barr
12-22-2007, 10:47 PM
i seriously doubt that you'll have any problem with that.

the glue is stronger than the wood anyway. Especially on a long grain-to-long grain glue up.

dan

Greg Funk
12-22-2007, 10:59 PM
If I understand it correctly there will be no force applied that will split the leg. I would keep it the way it is.

If you are at all nervous that it might split drill a hole through the leg just below and perpendicular to the Bench bolt and bolt the leg together. This would add some mechanical strength and make it impossible to split. If you inset the bolt head and plugged both ends it wouldn't be noticable.

Looking forward to seeing some pics I like old-growth fir!

Greg

Edit: Sorry David I just read your post which I basically repeated.