PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-23-2004, 12:02 AM
Yup....you guessed it.....

Another weekend has come as gone. I just gotta be gettin' older. Seems like every time I turn around it's time to post the weekend accomplishments. Whew.....does it ever slow down?

Well got more work done of the 6 adirondack chairs. Ordered too much 6/4 and not enough 4/4 cypress, so I gotta take time to take some of the 6/4 back and get about another 30 to 40 BDFT of 4/4 so the rest of the parts can be cut and ready for assembly. The primary structure is all 6/4 cypress and the only 4/4 on the chairs is the seat slats, back splats and the arms. I am laminating a "curved support" for the very top of the back splats as we lengthened them by 4" from what any of the 3 plans we were using called for. We also have to size one chair DOWN in size so to best fit by co-workers wife. She is about 4' 5" tall and extremely petite. She sat in the "prototype chair" that I made first and it fits us just fine with a little room to "squirm around" and still be very comfortable....when she sat in it.....she took on the size appearance of being a 5 year old kid sitting in a grownups chair....No Kidding!!!!!!

So here is what we will do to ONE Chair.......shorten the legs from the back to the front by 5", remove 2 seat slats, lower the front legs by 2" and shorten the back splats by 4"......

I believe it will fit her a lot better with those mods.....What do ya'll think?

Got my FPP pen kits in and got them all sorted out and have already turned 4 pens. Spent some time working on the oldest sons bicycle as the rear wheel wobbled like it was going to fall apart. I had never taken a rear wheel assembly apart before and when the spring threw the parts out of the hub.....I spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to put it all back together again and have the wheel turn freely AND still having rear brakes that worked. Lesson learned....but at least I fixed it and the #1 son is happy about his bike working smoothly again.

Oh well....enough rambling on from me for now.....

What did YOU do this weekend......

Best of Weeks........................

Mark Bachler
02-23-2004, 8:27 AM
What weekend? This one flew by. A friend helped me get the machines off the pallets with a cherry picker and set in place. I used 1/2" thick cow mat material for antivibration pads. Sunday I fixed the broken cable for the winch on my Honda ATV. Still ALOT of snow to be plowed here in North Wis. Then I finished cleaning the cosmoline off all the little parts and got the fence on the SW315. Cooked BBQ pork ribs for the family & helpers and was in bed by nine. It's good to be back to work so I can rest up.

Mike Evertsen
02-23-2004, 8:37 AM
I went to the Milwaukee woodworking show Sat.
Sunday spent the day putting togeather and putting away all the stuff I bought at the woodworking show.

Jim Becker
02-23-2004, 9:41 AM
Somewhat of a productive weekend in the shop. On Saturday, some additional cleanup was completed in the north end of the shop and I put a more "user friendly" drain on the IR compressor so I could keep it bolted to the floor. I also did some preparation work for the "Hands On Weekend" training I'm delivering for our local AAW chapter in early March.

Our normal "third Saturday" night out with another couple was aborted due to an illness in the other party, so we had a nice dinner at home and then watched Monsters Inc...cute film.

On Sunday, I worked on preparation of stock for the TV stand I've been planning and glued up the panels. In addition, I turned a large platter out of walnut to finish up the day. This platter is about 13" in diameter 3/16" thick at the rim with a gradual taper to the center. Height is about 1.5".

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Friday evening, started work on the miter saw extensions. Saturday was the toy show in Milwaukee. Ran into Mike Evertson and a couple of his friends there and then went down to a "gathering place" across the street, where we met more WW's! Fun time. Oh yeah...Picked up a couple things at the show, as well. Sunday finished up the miter saw extensions and made a stop and hold-down for it. (I'll try to get pictures up later.) Final sanded and poly'd about 250' of 1/4"x 1-1/4" Oak slats for a bedroom project LOML dreamed up. Fun weekend! Cant' wait for Friday! Have a great week, all! :cool:

Edit:
As promised, got a couple pics of the CMS table. Overall length of the left side extension is 58" with a clear shot off the end of it for real long stock. I have right about 4-1/2' to the right of the blade. Basic construction is 3/4" Melamine laminated shelf boards with some aluminum angle on the backside to support to upright. T-track from a super deal at Rockler's a couple months ago ($10.00 for the 4' kit with t-bolts and asst. of knobs!) Even threw together my own version of a flip-stop and hold-down, both out of some Cherry I had laying around. Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Scott Coffelt
02-23-2004, 10:47 AM
The LOML took another glass fusing class, this time to make bracelets, anyways I had the boy to myself on Saturday. Therefore no shop time.

Sunday we spent most of the day driving around looking at acreage. We found three lots we like, one is 2.5 and is full of trees but it skinny so the appearence would make it feel like a normal neighborhood. The second is 2.5 and has a pond on the back third, but sits on the edge of a development and is accessed by what some day could be a major road. The third is 3 acres and is square and slopes left to right. They all are about the same price per acre, so thats not going to be the factor. man land is down right expensive in KC around the city, I can get the same size lot for about a 1/3 if I want to add another 15-20 minute drive each way on top of the 10-15 already added with these lots. Decisions, Decisions.

Also on Sunday, I finished sanding the bed frame and got a coat of tung oil on it. Tonight I will add a second coat.

That's about it.

Michael Ballent
02-23-2004, 12:36 PM
I layed down about 200 sq ft of laminate flooring in my house... about another 800 sq ft to go... I have to hand it to the folks that do this for a living, tough work. My house is one of those new designs with angles everywhere what a PITA. Got lucky with the molding and was able to remove it without destroying them so I was able to reuse it :D, and SWMBO repainted them. Oh yeah my little 12V PC is no match for the concrete slab, very slow going. Pics will be coming along...

-Michael

Mike Scoggins
02-23-2004, 1:09 PM
I got a little shop time, which I really enjoyed. I added three 6" x 6" x 4" wyes (and constructed the 4" blast gates for each of these) to my dust collection system.

I also added the zero-clearance insert and Micro-Jig splitter (that I picked up at the Houston woodworking show a few weekends ago) to my Grizzly 1023S.

On the non-woodworking front, my parents were in town visiting from West Texas. We enjoyed some good food and fellowship. We also went to my youngest daughter's All-Region band concert on Saturday. It's junior high, but the sound was surprisingly good; those kids really did a great job!

Time with family and on the hobby I love...not a bad weekend at all. I am blessed; God is good!

Mike

Greg Wandless
02-23-2004, 1:21 PM
With the wife away at a volleyball tournement, I had all day Saturday to myself. Spent the morning finishing the update to my website and running some errands. The afternoon and evening I used to finsh gluing the torsion box shelves for the library. Sunday was spent installing the shelves to see how they looked before I stain and finish them. Posted some pics on the Website.

Have a good week guys.

Cheers,
Greg

Robert Ducharme
02-23-2004, 1:49 PM
Tiring!

Mudded, sanded, primed, and painted about 3000 sq ft of drywall so I can get ready to hang the DC. Only 9000 sq ft to go.

Glenn Clabo
02-23-2004, 1:53 PM
Built a wall...caught a Rat...mounted the sucker! Looks lonely doesn't it? Not for long.

Larry Browning
02-23-2004, 1:58 PM
Well I guess I'll add my weekend doins here.
I had grand plans to work all weekend on the bookcase I am making for one of my son's law partners. This is really my 1st project that I am actually trying to make a little money on. Anyway, I think I logged maybe a total of 3 hours the whole weekend. We had to make an unexpected trip to Tulsa Saturday morning, which shot the entire day. I was able to stop by Woodcraft and exchange a couple router bits I bought there the week before on the scheduled Tulsa trip. I wanted 1/2" shank instead of 1/4" that I picked up by accident. Then Sunday apparently the boss had other plans for me that I had "forgotten" about and I didn't get down to the shop until almost dark. Oh well, maybe next weekend. I sure am glad I told my 1st customer to expect his new bookcase when it gets delivered, cause it will take me a year to get this done at this rate.
I had this brainstorm in Wal-Mart yesterday. I'll bet I could make a zero clearance insert out of one of those poly cutting boards they sell for 6 bucks, so I bought one. Has anybody ever done such a thing? Does it have a chance of working?

Rob Littleton
02-23-2004, 2:13 PM
Built a wall...caught a Rat...mounted the sucker! Looks lonely doesn't it? Not for long.

Now that is a RAT worth catching.......

I have been looking at this at ever since i started to look at them, they keep coming up in my face like in this post and web sites.

Is someone sending me a subtle message?

Your likes and dislikes?

cheers

Rob Littleton
02-23-2004, 2:29 PM

Now that is a RAT worth catching.......

I have been looking at this at ever since i started to look at them, they keep coming up in my face like in this post and web sites.

Is someone sending me a subtle message?

Your likes and dislikes?

cheers

Glenn Clabo
02-23-2004, 2:33 PM
Rob,
I drooled over this thing for a very long time. I did all the work by hand before and had a hard time spending the money...which is my dislike. I kept trying to make up my mind on jigs but none of them can do as much as this can.

The like...well I've only had it mounted for a day now. As soon as it was plugged in it took me less than two minutes to do a box joint that came out perfect! And I do mean perfect.

Once I talked to Dave Richards and realized I needed to simply think differently (the router is right side up first of all) I doubt I'll have too many problems. I'm not a real instruction reader...but the manual that comes with it is pretty good. I just got the DVD and plan on watching it this week. This thing can do anything a table mounted router can plus whatever jig you can think of. It's a big investment...but I think it's going to be well worth it.

It's got my creative juices flowing to the point where I want to take a day off from work to try every joint I can think of. However...duty calls.

If you decide to pull the trigger, Dave and I can probably save you a couple of steps for setup, etc.

Travis Lanman
02-23-2004, 7:39 PM
I've been working on this clock prototype.
Travis

Robert Ducharme
02-23-2004, 9:10 PM
Travis - looks pretty good. But how are you going to get the red numbers on the right bottom corner to center on the face and change?

Travis Lanman
02-23-2004, 9:29 PM
Travis - looks pretty good. But how are you going to get the red numbers on the right bottom corner to center on the face and change?
Thanks. The trick to getting those numbers on the face and then getting them to change is so complicated that I just thought that I would leave them on the table. :D I hope to get all of the errors on this one and it will probably be a shop clock and then make a nicer one for the house. I'm not very fond of pine but figured it would work well for this one.
Travis

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Nice website Greg! You are doing some interesting things.