PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Melamine

Larry Bratton
12-22-2007, 7:27 PM
I have a bunch of white melamine panels that were left over from another project. I started wondering if this stuff would engrave or not. So, today I tried it and it came out beautiful. After I engraved it, I paint filled it with Krylon H2O latex paint. It looked super.

Melamine is a resin impregnated coating applied over MDF or particle board. It is used to make cabinets etc. I intend to use this to make door identification plates for apartments. I used the same speed and power settings I use for wood except just a little slower. 300dpi/20spd/100pwr

If their is interest, I'll try and make a photo tomorrow to post.

Shane Gould
12-22-2007, 7:31 PM
Sure, I would like to see some pictures!!

Mike DeRegnaucourt
12-22-2007, 9:34 PM
Hi Larry,

Yes, I would definitely love to see pictures when you have them ready.

Mike Null
12-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Larry

I believe melamine is a kin to phenolic. I'd be intersted in knowing how it cuts.

Larry Bratton
12-24-2007, 11:28 AM
77830Mike:
Yes, Melamine is kin to phenolic, however, what I am using here is a resin impregnated (coated) MDF. The building products industry commonly refers to it as melamine. It is used to make cabinets and prefinished furniture. It is a water resistent material, subsequently can be used on a counter top where water might be splashed on it. It comes in a huge number of colors and finishes. I am in a building products related business and I buy mine from a wholesale plywood supplier. Laserbits has 1/4" in white, black,and birch panels that they refer to as Duro Laser. A 12x24 from them is $8 and change.

Anyway, I engraved this with a transfer paper mask on it and then spray painted it with Krylon H2O latex spray paint. It came out very clean and will make good indoor signs. It would probably be OK outside if you sealed the edges very well, as the coating on both sides is pretty much water proof.The photos don't do it justice as it's hard to get a close up with detail and stay within the 100kb limit.

Mike Null
12-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Larry

Looks good.

Did you cut that with the laser?

Larry Bratton
12-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Larry

Looks good.

Did you cut that with the laser?
Yes. Except for the one on the left. It is 1/2" Material and was a piece of scrap from the shop. The door plate and the larger Sawmill Creek is 1/4" and cut them in the laser. I think is was 7spd/100pwr/500freq. Engraving was 20spd/100pwr/600dpi 1 pass.