PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood sources in Central Texas?

John Canfield
12-22-2007, 7:04 PM
We moved back here a year ago (after a 20 year hiatus in Florida) and I'm finally getting my shop set up and starting to think about my supply pipeline. In Central Florida, our local mom and pop lumber yard carried common rough hardwoods and if they didn't have it, it would be cheerfully ordered.

We are rural, but the closest city to us is Kerrville. The west side of San Antonio is about an hour's drive and we make that trip about once a month for major shopping.

I'd love to hear from woodworkers in the Kerrville or San Antonio area to find out favorite supply sources.

Thanks - John

[Merry Christmas]

Alan Trout
12-22-2007, 7:07 PM
Allen and Allen near downtown San Antonio has a good selection of rough sawn Hardwood lumber also next to them but more expensive is Alamo Hardwoods.

Good Luck

Alan

Mike Marcade
12-22-2007, 7:31 PM
If you are near Austin, I hear Austin Fine Lumber & Plywood really has some nice stuff.

http://www.finelumber.com/index.lasso

John Canfield
12-22-2007, 8:11 PM
Mike - Austin is about a two hour drive. We are headed there tomorrow after church to spend Christmas with my brother-in-law, but I'm not driving the pickup truck, otherwise I might be able to sneak in a wood buying trip. In fact we lived in Austin from 1972 to 1981 - met my wife at UT :D

Allen and Allen in San Antonio is about an hour closer.

Thanks Alan and Mike!

Mike Marcade
12-22-2007, 8:14 PM
Hey John,

I'm not sure the last time you were in Austin, but if it was a while ago you will be in for quite a surprise. Lots of growth around here since '81.

Jim Haddox
12-22-2007, 9:39 PM
BlueLinx Hardwoods (formerly Austin Hardwoods) has a large stock. They are also a very reasonable source for cabinet hardware.

Alamo is a good place to look for that special board.

Jim

Don Stutsman
12-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Bluelinx Hardwoods of San Antonio is a good place - just spent $280 there this morning on some maple. Check out their web site at: http://www.bluelinxhardwoods.com. There is also a Woodcraft store in both San Antonio and Austin. If you are interested in mesquite lumber there is some in Hondo or Castroville. Welcome home!:)

John Canfield
12-24-2007, 6:40 PM
Thanks Jim & Don! I'll check them out. I want to round up some Baltic birch ply also, so I'll make some phone calls next week.

It's really great to be back in Texas :D. We love the Hill Country and it's nice not worrying about hurricanes every summer like we did for the last few years in central Florida. Where we are, you hardly ever need to look in the rear view mirror when entering I-10.. nice to get away from the congestion.

Bryan Hunt
12-24-2007, 11:37 PM
John, when you do head in to Austin, Fine Lumber, as mentioned, has a huge selection of hardwood. One thing to note, they are not open on the weekend :(

John Canfield
12-25-2007, 9:30 AM
Thanks Bryan. No problem about being closed on weekends - I have the luxury of no schedule and no job. Weekends is when I do the Monday-to-Friday types a favor and stay home.

No sense in me adding to the congestion ;)

Dell Littlefield
12-25-2007, 9:54 AM
Last summer, while visiting Texas from Florida, I purchased some nice mesquite lumber from Texas Kiln Products in Bastrop. They specialize in pecan and mesquite. www.texaskilnproducts.com (http://www.texaskilnproducts.com)

Dave Tinley
12-25-2007, 9:37 PM
John-
Welcome back. I do envy you tho, Kerville is one of my most favorite places in the state.
If you ever get over by Huntsville, you need to go by M&G sawmill-
http://www.mgsawmill.com/
great prices and really nice couple of guys.
Over in Bandera there is a fella selling Cypress and Cedar, sorry I dont have a phone number.

As others have mentioned-Fine Lumber in Austin is good, altho there prices are higher then the local sawmills.

If you ever get up towards Waco, give me a shout.

Dave

Jim O'Dell
12-25-2007, 9:47 PM
Toolseeker.com has a lumber sources link that is listed by state. Most of the ones mentioned above are listed there with phone numbers and addresses. Hope this helps, and welcome back, even if you are a UT alum! :D Jim.

John Canfield
12-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Dave - we lived in Waco for a year after I was promoted - that was in 1981. We cried when we had to leave Austin... bet Waco hasn't changed much :p

Jim - wife is UT-EX, wife's brother & his wife, wife's mom & dad, wife's cousin are all UT-EX - the family bleeds Orange :D. I had some classes there but graduated from Webster U.

Thanks to everybody for the lumber locater service!

Jim O'Dell
12-25-2007, 10:37 PM
I feel much better about you being here at the creek then! :eek: :D:D:D:D Jim. (Who spent the last 3 years of college in Waco)