PDA

View Full Version : Repeat after me (with pictures now(at the end))...

Dean Matthews
12-22-2007, 4:41 PM
I will NOT "listen" to directions from Woodcraft EVER again.

Holy crud... First they have the dumbest size drill bit used on this project (13/16"). I guess the size would be okay if you could find it in ANY form of a twist bit but I could only find forstners. The directions clearly call out a brad point in that size yet no one on the planet seems to have one. So... that leaves you burning up a forstner bit through 2.5" of wood.

Ah! and the 2.5" of wood... The directions CLEARLY state 2x2x2.5. Great... Cut my blanks... drill my wholes... turn the blank. Go to put it together... HA! The actual dimension should be 2.25 and NOT 2.5! Finding out AFTER you turn the dang things is WAY too late.

I finally did get everything squared away. though cutting round things (egg shaped things) is NO fun on a bandsaw.

I am sure the problems stem from directions originally in Chinese, the converted to french or german, and then finally English.

Ugh... so frustrating.

Bonnie Campbell
12-22-2007, 5:43 PM
Aren't directions so fun! Took me a good while reading, over and over, on a euro pen to figure out what they meant :rolleyes::o And don't get me started on HF workbench assembly directions! :eek:

Jesse Cloud
12-22-2007, 5:49 PM
I hear you on that. I foolishly used a cut list from a book on cabinet building and half way through realized that half the dimensions were wrong. Fool me once...

BTW, Lee Valley has a 13/16 brad point, but its $30.10!!! :eek:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42247&cat=1,180,42240

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2007, 6:36 PM
You mean to tell me that I'm supposed to be using the directions that comes with things???!!! Man!!! I guess I missed the boat on that one. Oh well.....

Now, where did that little bitty screw go that supposed to fit in that teeny-tiny hole to hold this thing-uh-muh-bob on??!!!! Drats!!!!!!! Lost another one. :o

Jon Lanier
12-22-2007, 6:49 PM
Directions? What directions? They give directions with those things.?

William Bachtel
12-22-2007, 6:54 PM
I never read directions until, I can't figure it out.

Greg Just
12-22-2007, 7:21 PM
As my BIL says "reading directions is a sign of weakness"

Bonnie Campbell
12-22-2007, 7:54 PM
As my BIL says "reading directions is a sign of weakness"

......But understanding them is a sign of brilliance! :D

Bill Lantry
12-22-2007, 8:17 PM
I just cut. That's my job. Reading the directions is my wife's job... ;)

She's standing right here, mocking me, and blaming my inability to read directions on my gender! What's a gender? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Brian Brown
12-22-2007, 9:33 PM
All right, everyone together (with a mexican accent) "Directions!, We don't need no stinking directions":D (Appologies to Mel Brooks.)

Brian

David Epperson
12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
All right, everyone together (with a mexican accent) "Directions!, We don't need no stinking directions":D (Appologies to Mel Brooks.)

Brian
That should really be apologies to John Huston since the line came from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. :D
But I think I've seen that size auger bit for much less. In fact I think I've seen them at Harbor Freight.

Dean Thomas
12-22-2007, 10:37 PM
I will NOT "listen" to directions from Woodcraft EVER again.

Holy crud... First they have the dumbest size drill bit used on this project (13/16"). I guess the size would be okay if you could find it in ANY form of a twist bit but I could only find forstners. The directions clearly call out a brad point in that size yet no one on the planet seems to have one. So... that leaves you burning up a forstner bit through 2.5" of wood.

Ah! and the 2.5" of wood... The directions CLEARLY state 2x2x2.5. Great... Cut my blanks... drill my wholes... turn the blank. Go to put it together... HA! The actual dimension should be 2.25 and NOT 2.5! Finding out AFTER you turn the dang things is WAY too late.

I finally did get everything squared away. though cutting round things (egg shaped things) is NO fun on a bandsaw.

I am sure the problems stem from directions originally in Chinese, the converted to french or german, and then finally English.

Ugh... so frustrating.
I think you ought to be tremendously thankful that the directions gave you a size that was too LARGE. At least you can make a 2.25 incher out of a 2.5 incher. Way easier than the other way around!

And Greg, my father was another one of those "read the instructions only as a last resort because they're going to be wrong anyhow. A bunch of years ago, I bought a harpsichord kit for him to build for us while he was unemployed. What a MESS because he would not follow instructions. He drilled 189 holes in the wrong place (63 strings, 3 holes for pins for each string) and we had to spend two days whittling toothpicks to fill the holes and 36 hours waiting for the glue to cure enough to be worked. And that was only one example of his intuitive assembly technique, probably the easiest to explain. I tell you, I do understand the instructions thing. :rolleyes:

Michael Armstrong
12-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Dean:
I've used my 13/16" forstner to make about 80 of the kaleggoscopes and only had to sharpen it once. Slow speed and slow feed rate have worked fine for me. I must admit though that the directions from both Craft Supplies and PSI all have the correct 2.25" dimension so I was lucky that way. These things are one of my best sellers and have helped purchase many 'toys' for my woodturning addiction.

Michael

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Directions, Directions????? I thought if you didn't have parts left over you did it wrong. :D:rolleyes::cool:

Bummer Dean. I use Craft Supply directions most times and sometimes PSI's.

Bill Wyko
12-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Directions? I sell navagation for that.:D

Barry Elder
12-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Years ago I bought some pen kits from Woodcraft and followed the directions completely. (Yes, my parents insisted that I learn how to read) When the pen didn't assemble I called Woodcraft for assistance and the guy I talked to didn't have a clue why it didn't work. He called me back the next day to agree with me that it had incorrect this and that and issued me a replacement. But I won't do business with them!

Dean Matthews
12-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Years ago I bought some pen kits from Woodcraft and followed the directions completely. (Yes, my parents insisted that I learn how to read) When the pen didn't assemble I called Woodcraft for assistance and the guy I talked to didn't have a clue why it didn't work. He called me back the next day to agree with me that it had incorrect this and that and issued me a replacement. But I won't do business with them!

I would honestly think about boycotting Woodcraft but they are the only game in town other than Klingspore's. Klingspore's doesn't really have a lot of turning project stuff.

I was happy with the call kits that I got from CSUSA though. And from what I have read here... quality from PSI can be hit or miss.

I had found a spade bit in 13/16" but I was leary about using a spade bit for this kind of project....that type of bit is not known for it's accuracy and clean cutting. I was hoping I could have found one of the triple flute bits that Irvin makes but... no luck.

Glad to know I am not the only direction impared person though. =)

Dean Matthews
12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
btw... here are the scopes:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/went_postal/scopes/IMG_3384.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/went_postal/scopes/IMG_3383.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/went_postal/scopes/IMG_3381.jpg

David Epperson
12-23-2007, 1:28 PM
I was hoping I could have found one of the triple flute bits that Irvin makes but... no luck.

I didn't find any Irvin bits, but Dogpile.com found quite a few sources for Irwin Auger Bits. Some for right at $10 for this size.

Bonnie Campbell
12-23-2007, 3:03 PM
Not meaning to high jack the thread, if I am, but are auger bits acceptable for drilling the bigger holes some turning projects need?

Andy Hoyt
12-23-2007, 4:49 PM
I would think not, Bonnie. Far too aggressive.

Bonnie Campbell
12-23-2007, 5:14 PM
Okay Andy, thanks :)

Dean Matthews
12-23-2007, 6:53 PM
I didn't find any Irvin bits, but Dogpile.com found quite a few sources for Irwin Auger Bits. Some for right at $10 for this size.

Irvin... Irwin... it's all good. =)

Yeah... I try to avoid augers for things that need to be precise. If I am poking holes in the house I could care less. If I am going to spend time in front of a quickly spinning dense object I want to make sure I am at the size that I need.

Al Killian
12-23-2007, 9:56 PM
My directions say, get the biggest hammer and a good roll of duct tape.:D