PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy Willow

Al Killian
12-22-2007, 4:18 PM
Is willow with what looks like tons of small burls worth the time to cut it up into blanks? A large one came down a month ago and is sitting there and the owner said I can take as much as I want, but I was not sure if is good turning wood.

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2007, 4:32 PM
Al,

Get some of it...turn it and report your findings. I haven't met a wood yet that isn't worth tyring at least once. Like, who would of ever thought about turning Bradford Pear....only to find out how beautiful the wood is and how nice it is to turn. :D

Go for it bud!!!! ;)

robert hainstock
12-22-2007, 4:42 PM
Never tried to turn it, but the 3/4 in stuff makes great cane handles. Hows that for no help at all? :o
Bob

Tom Sherman
12-22-2007, 4:56 PM
Al while I have not turned any yet, I have heard folks say that it is somewhat stringy and requires sharp tools. I have a large piece of it in the shop just waiting to get back on my feet to try it out.

Bernie Weishapl
12-22-2007, 5:31 PM
If it is free I would get some. I have turned willow and it is somewhat stringy but turns pretty nice with sharp tools.

Tim Gruss
12-23-2007, 2:42 AM
Weeping willow Burl turns similar to Cottonwood,or Yellow Poplar. Black willow turns similar to soft maple. The usual problems associated with grain changes in burls making it even more difficult to keep from pulling the end grained sections out. It also has a tendence to crack as turning due to the friction from the tools cutting edge.Keep your tools extreemly sharp,and keep it cool while sanding. Also using a 50/50 yellow glue/water wash just prior to making your final finish cuts will help with the cracks opening up. I'll post a few forms I have in the finishing process on the 23rd of Dec. Hope this helps,Tim.

TYLER WOOD
12-23-2007, 4:10 PM
I agree on getting as much as you can and try it. Hey if you don't like it, burn it. What did you loose, some skin time and wear and tear on the ol chain saw?

Al Killian
12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Tommrow I am metting up with my freind(Murphy's law):eek: and we will try to get a truck load. The last time we treid doing something it took us 45 minutes to go 3 miles. The wife thinks the world is doomed each time we get together as things usllay go wrong. Then again what could go wrong with to guys, a truck, a few ropes and a few chainsaws?:D

Tim Gruss
12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Al, I would suggest getting a few bowl or vase blanks and try them first. Weeping Willow in my book is one of the most frustrating woods to turn and dry. If it is Black Willow on the other hand, take the whole thing as it turns a lot more like soft maple. Black Willow tends to be single trunked, branching off higher up. Weeping Willow tend to be multi trunked or will branch very close to the ground. This is a simple way you can tell the difference in the winter. Hope this helps.

Burt Alcantara
12-24-2007, 2:06 PM
I turn a lot of willow as I was given most of a tree last year. The few bowls I've turned split during drying but all of the end grain boxes were stable.

The wood tends to look white but with a good friction finish it will bring out unusual figure and darken as heat is applied.

All of these end grain turnings were done on dry wood with no warpage or splitting.

Burt