PDA

View Full Version : Target HybrVar

Richard Ferment
12-22-2007, 4:10 PM
I am geting ready to order some USL from target coatings. I was thinking about ordering a gallon of HybrVar Alkyd varnish. However I have never used this product before. Can anyone give me some feedback on this product. Such as drying time between coats, coverage,and overall aperance. Any info. would be helpfull Thanks in advance.:)

Jim Becker
12-22-2007, 8:05 PM
I just used it on my vanity projects. It's a nice finish and the end result is very nice. You get the color benefit of an oil-based varnish in an easy to spray product. That said, although it's water borne, it has a longer dry time than the USL and other Target products, but not as long as the "regular" oil-based stuff. I waited about twice as long as I normally would for USL and that was probably pushing it.

It does have a nice subtle "licorice" smell...

Jim Summers
12-22-2007, 9:12 PM
I have used it on a patio bench and liked the results. I think varnish is a little more durable than lacquer so I went that way. I am pretty new to spray finishing, but the product sprayed well, did not have any blushing or any of those type of problems. Seems to have a lot of product in it. For me, that means it built up very quickly in just a couple of coats.

I am going to spray it on some walnut soon. Hopefully tomorrow if the current cold front moves on as predicted. The can does say that it is acceptable to apply in 40 degree and temps. I will update in a thread I started earlier as to what I experience.

HTH

Greg Funk
12-22-2007, 10:06 PM
I used it this summer on Cherry and Maple and was happy with the results. It was my first time spraying so I had a bit of a learning curve to go through getting used to the sprayer. I recall waiting about an hour or so between coats. I had to lightly sand between each coat. I used it for sealing (thinned a little more) and for all the top coats.

Greg

Richard Ferment
12-23-2007, 9:41 AM
I would like to thank all who replied. I will try it. Sounds like just what I'm looking for Thanks again:)