PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Log Out

Ruby in NC
02-13-2003, 6:02 AM
When you get the time, please check on how long the server holds log in information.

This morning I logged in to post a reply to one of the posts. The reply was long. When I tried to post, the server requested that I log in. During the new log in process, I believe my reply was lost. While I could be wrong, I suspect the server logs folks out when there's been no activity for maybe 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for all your hard work to get this setup. I'm looking forward to seeing the community gather on the creek banks.

Ruby

Keith Outten
02-14-2003, 8:56 AM
Ruby,

I have reviewed the board configuration file and there isn't a timer set to automatically logout a member. Our staff have been logged in for hours at a time without interruption. It is possible that this is a setting in your browser or your system, I'll check with Ray Koehl and get back to you with more information.

Update 02-14-03
Aaron looked at this problem and I had misinterpreted the forum setting as it is unclear what the setting does. You can read his post below for more information. The current setting of 900 seconds gives you 15 minutes of inactivity before it logs you out of the board, I type very slow but it hasn't been a problem for me but I'm willing to increase the time limit if that is what you prefer.

Let me know.

Ruby in NC
02-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Hi Keith,

Thanks for digging further into this. It happened again this morning. (sigh)

In a former life, I was a moderator for an on-line education site. One of the things the system admin had to tweak was the amount of time allowed, without any interactiion with a user, before the server automatically logged them out. It took a while to achieve the balance between keeping students happy and allocating server resources.

While I could be wrong, I don't think it's my browser, ISP, etc. as I haven't encountered this problem when taking the time to write a long reply on other ww sites.

Again, thanks for checking into this.

Ruby

Aaron Koehl
02-14-2003, 3:43 PM
You are considered logged out of the system after 900 seconds (<b>15 minutes</b>) of inactivity. <br><br>
I could either: <br>
<ol>
<li>Set the timeout higher, based on what you guys think is reasonable, or</li>
<li>Turn it off altogether, so everyone has to explicitly log out.</li>
</ol>

I am always open to suggestions!<br><br>

- Aaron

Keith Melick
02-14-2003, 8:19 PM
Aaron

I for one would rather keep the auto log out feature in. There are many times when I am on line at Saw Mill Creek and something comes up and just don't take the time to log out.

Keith M

Ruby in NC
02-15-2003, 4:46 AM
Aaron, thanks for digging into this.

My 2-cents is to set the time for an hour of inactivity. That should allow enough time to write lengthy replies, deal with interruptions, etc.

Keeping an automatic log out will help with server resources a little further down the road when site activity increases. So, I can definitely see keeping it in place. Then, tweaking it, as needed to keep a good balance between user needs and system performance.

Again, thank you for checking into it so quickly. Much appreciated here. And, THANK YOU and others for all the hard work you're putting into this site.

Regards,
Ruby

Keith Outten
02-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Ruby,

The login timer setting willl make a difference if you somehow lost your connection to the board. You wouldn't be able to log back in untill the board cleared your account as it would give you a message that your account was in use when you try to login.

The login procedure here is part of the security measures of the software, unlike pure HTML type of boards which don't have this option and the level of security. The members here have expressed strong opinions concerning security, we got the message loud and clear.

I will change the setting to 30 minutes this morning, lets see how that works for awhile.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback,

Ted Shrader
02-15-2003, 5:13 PM
Keith -

I think that is a good decision (for whatever that is worth!). A decent balance between tasking and distractions.

<b>EVERYBODY, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!</B>

Ted