PDA

View Full Version : fabricating blocks in high qtys.

chris fox
12-22-2007, 3:12 PM
I posted this in Design and CNC forums, with little bites. Maybe I am impatient??
Anyway thought I would post in here where theres more traffic...
heres a copy/paste....

Hi everyone,
Its been a while since I have posted but I check back often and read the posts. I am in the middle of master bath remodel where all my free time is in to it. I started out to design and make the cabinents only. Since then I have installed Kerdi shower, set wall tile, plumbing, new floor, freestanding tub, walk in closet, and new paint. Yet to do is custom wood frame mirrors and his/her vanities/cabs. The cabs and mirrors are in the design phase and I am sure I will be back with questions.....

Anyway, my question. I am running a side project for a friend that needs 600 wood blocks for a sales training program. These blocks are used on large format color plots during the training sessions.
Attached is a 3D design illustration of this 1-1/2" thick block.
Heres what I need:
- qtys up to 600 pcs.(block halves)
- blocks will be painted or dyed a blue color
- the block will be etched with text.

The wood grain is not relevant to the design so a low cost/grade wood is ok to use.
I have local contacts for doing low qty parts in high density foam, plastic and wood but these high qtys I get killed on the price.
I need to know of a source that specializes in wood block building, etc.

So anyone here do this or recommend someone???
BTW. I can provide .DXF several 3D file options

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnailshttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=77676&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1198281852 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=77676&d=1198281852)

Steve knight
12-22-2007, 7:01 PM
these would no be hard to make. but how precise do they need to be? cutting solid wood accuracy is tricky as boards change. how thick are they? using a man made wood would make them easier to get accurate. what is the price range your looking at?