PDA

View Full Version : Black Locust?

John Miliunas
02-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Any of you turners ever use Black Locust? If so, any particular points of interest one should know about it? My buddy can get his mitts on a bunch of it near his home, where the utility co. is clearing a path for new/additional power lines and he's volunteered to get me some if it's worth my while. :cool:

Jim Becker
02-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Yea...the best advise is to turn it green. If it's dry, it will be like turning steel with a butter knife. But it's beautiful wood and like many dense species, takes a nice shine.

John Miliunas
02-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Cool! Thanks for the input, Jim! I'll have to drop him a line and see if he can't throw some in his truck for me. He's a budding WW himself, but fortunately for me, doesn't have a lathe! (yet....) Guess I'll have to give it a go. :cool:

Jack Diemer
02-23-2004, 6:04 AM
Be sure to watch out for them thorns.

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 8:05 AM
Be sure to watch out for them thorns.

"Thorns"??? On the trunk? Hmmm...Sounds like a nasty little tree there! Maybe them thorns are truly protecting some nice looking stuff under the bark! Thanks for this tip, Jack. :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
02-23-2004, 9:58 AM
Black Locust is quite hard, but quite pretty too. I turned file handles out of it and they sure are pretty. As long as your tools are really sharp you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Very wear and rot resistant stuff. Here in New England the old joke is that a post made from black locust will outlast 6 post holes.

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Here in New England the old joke is that a post made from black locust will outlast 6 post holes.

LOL! :D Now that's comedy! Thanks for the input. BTW, Dave, there's a PM coming at 'ya shortly! :cool:

Stan Smith
02-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks for your post, John. I just scrounged some myself at the park from major storm damage. I just got some rounds so I don't know anything about thorns, though. Haven't done anything with it yet except to cut it into some smaller pieces on the bandsaw.

Stan

Diane Maluso
02-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Absolutely turn it green. I tried turning some dry when I first started out and just about broke my wrist. Hard as a rock with squirrely grain.

Happy shavings!

Diane

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 1:39 PM
Absolutely turn it green. I tried turning some dry when I first started out and just about broke my wrist. Hard as a rock with squirrely grain.

Happy shavings!

Diane

Thanks Diane! Now that's a *very* important bit of info! Might even try out the LDD method, while I'm at it. :cool:

Andy Halterman
02-23-2004, 5:43 PM
I launched a locust bowl one night last week whilst trying to hollow it out. This stuff is probably a bit too dry but it is a nice crotch piece with some very pretty grain. It is a very beautiful wood and if you mess it up, it does great in the burn pile.

BTW, I believe the thorny locust refered to above is honey locust and not the black variety. At least here in west NC that's how it is.

Good luck and be careful.

Andy Halterman

Knew those spring temps were just a tease in Hendersonville, NC

Mark Stutz
02-23-2004, 8:11 PM
John,
What is the LDD method?

Mark

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 9:57 PM
John,
What is the LDD method?

Mark

Good question, Mark! I hope to heck one of our more esteemed turners will jump in to correct my explanation! :rolleyes: I've never done it, so I'm going to have to do a little searching (again) to get the details, but basically, after you rough turn your piece, you dunk it in a bucket with @ a 50/50 solution of liquid dishwashing detergent/water, weigh it down and let it soak for a day or two. Take it out and then let it "dry" for a certain (?) amount of time and then chuck it back up and finish your turning. Something about the LDD displacing the water and allowing it to dry without checking and a whole lot less distorting. Somethin' like that, anyhow. If nobody else jumps in with more info, as soon as I get the skinny on it, I'll forward finding on to you. :cool:

Mark Stutz
02-23-2004, 11:00 PM
John,
Thanks! I've seen references to this but never an explanation. This sound like something for us novice turners to try, since I don't have 6 months worth of roughed out bowls sitting around, and don't want to wait 6 months to complete my first green wood bowl.

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 11:20 PM
John,
Thanks! I've seen references to this but never an explanation. This sound like something for us novice turners to try, since I don't have 6 months worth of roughed out bowls sitting around, and don't want to wait 6 months to complete my first green wood bowl.

Mark I did a quick search of my "Favorites" and came up with this link I had marked earlier on sometime: http://www.ronkent.com/RKhome.html
I forget who, but someone here at SMC referred to this site and I just revisited. The guy does some tremendous work and may be the "creator" of the LDD method. He doesn't get into real minute details, which leaves me to believe it's not a real exacting science. Real good overview, nonetheless. Once there, check under "Techniques". :cool:

Eddie Severt
02-24-2004, 3:33 AM
John,
I turned my first bowl out of a locust fence post that had been in the ground for over 35 years. As the others said, it is like turning steel. Before I realized it, I burned up a parting tool (turned blue for 1/2 inch).
It is a beautiful wood, though.
Eddie

Mark Stutz
02-24-2004, 7:26 PM
Thaks John. This is very interesting. I plan to give it a try.

Steve Inniss
02-28-2004, 6:38 PM
John,

Mark,
I did a post on it a few weeks ago here at SMC. I tried it for the same reason as you state, even though I've been turning for 15 years or so, I don't like the 6 month + part of the process.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=6458

-Steve

John Miliunas
02-28-2004, 9:02 PM
Mark,
I did a post on it a few weeks ago here at SMC. I tried it for the same reason as you state, even though I've been turning for 15 years or so, I don't like the 6 month + part of the process.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=6458

-Steve

Steve, now how the heck did I go and miss THAT one?! :mad: That's GREAT! I didn't realize that soaking it just overnight would turn (pun intended :D ) the trick! That's incredible. Add to that, it looks as though you're leaving some pretty thick profiles on the pieces and they still do well. I'm impressed! Now I really can't wait to get my mitts on some of that Locust! Thanks for the tips! :cool:

Steve Inniss
02-29-2004, 9:50 AM
Steve, now how the heck did I go and miss THAT one?! :mad: That's GREAT! I didn't realize that soaking it just overnight would turn (pun intended :D ) the trick! That's incredible. Add to that, it looks as though you're leaving some pretty thick profiles on the pieces and they still do well. I'm impressed! Now I really can't wait to get my mitts on some of that Locust! Thanks for the tips! :cool:
Correct, although they are big bowls and will be used in a kitchen and should be thick-ish, I wanted to really put the theory to the test.

For me, the jury's still out on rock maple - 2 out of 10 developed cracks. They did go from a tree in the woods to a heated DRY house in 24 hours, so it was a punishing test. If you have a few pieces of Locust, I'd try it(without quite the humidity extremes). Just don't do the "piece of a lifetime" until your pretty sure what the Locust thinks of the method.

And ...your hands will be beautiful.

And ...don't forget to post the photos. -Steve

Mark Stutz
02-29-2004, 6:45 PM
Steve, Thanks a bunch. I definitely will try this. Now to raid the woodpile.

Mark

Robert LeClair
02-29-2004, 7:12 PM
A saw mill here in Kansas gave me a board of black locust to try, the stuff went for .80 cents a ft. Real nice grain and hard. Planes real hard, saws real nice and sands like birch. I would love to come up with a project to use the stuff on.

Any of you turners ever use Black Locust? If so, any particular points of interest one should know about it? My buddy can get his mitts on a bunch of it near his home, where the utility co. is clearing a path for new/additional power lines and he's volunteered to get me some if it's worth my while. :cool:

Steve Inniss
02-29-2004, 7:38 PM
Steve, Thanks a bunch. I definitely will try this. Now to raid the woodpile.

Mark
Mark, Please let me/us know how it works out. -Steve