PDA

View Full Version : Is this a burl? (pic)

Irvin Cooper
12-22-2007, 1:13 PM
This is on a tree (red oak, I believe) behind our home. I am thinking there might be some good turning stock in this. Its obviously a "defect" in limb growth, but, seems there might be some pretty wood in there.

Can anyone explain this and have you worked with such?

Thanks.

Irv
http://www.astate.edu/executive/cio/burl.jpg

William Bachtel
12-22-2007, 1:35 PM
Looks like a burl, let it grow up to about six feet.

Paul Engle
12-22-2007, 1:56 PM
I asked the Idaho State forestry dept if one could cut off just the burl cap and they sent the inquirey to the Biologist at U of I ,He said you could slice off the burl cap with a very sharp hand saw ( like a Japaneese style pull saw, no chain saw ) parallel with the limb and it will not hurt the tree as the arteries are inside the limb not in the burl,not to paint over the exposed section , just leave it as it would grow back ,I had asked them about a very large burl on a red fir that had incircled the turnk of a 3 foot dia tree not far from me, (well the owner wouldn't give me permission ) that way you could harvest part of the cap. Check with your locale state biologist and see what they say.

George Guadiane
12-22-2007, 1:58 PM
I'm not sure, perhaps you should remove it from the tree and ship it to me for examination and testing.;):D

robert hainstock
12-22-2007, 4:56 PM
Smells like a burl, tastes like a burl, must be a burl. :p

Jon Lanier
12-22-2007, 6:52 PM
I know Burl and that is no burl. (ok, it is, but I still had to say that)

Gary Herrmann
12-22-2007, 7:33 PM
Dang, whats it gonna take to make some of my trees grow burls?

Congrats. Maybe if you slice off the top of the burl, it will grow back over time and you can harvest it again?

John Shuk
12-22-2007, 9:10 PM
Dang, whats it gonna take to make some of my trees grow burls?

Congrats. Maybe if you slice off the top of the burl, it will grow back over time and you can harvest it again?

If you have cherry trees then tent caterpillars cause lots of burls.

Irvin Cooper
12-22-2007, 9:31 PM
Thank you for all of the valuable opinions and replies.

What would be the appropriate drying process for said burl wood? Same as cross-cut logs?

Thanks again.

Irv

David Epperson
12-22-2007, 9:45 PM
Red oak leaves have pointed tips, white oak leaves have rounded lobes. That looks a lot like one I managed to save from some white oaks we dropped a few weeks ago. I'm holding it for one of the turners on here. I do not do turning at this time, but hated to let something like that go to firewood. 4" diameter limb, close to 12" diameter burl.

Irvin Cooper
12-23-2007, 12:34 AM
So in the winter, what are they?? :>

David Epperson
12-23-2007, 7:22 AM
So in the winter, what are they?? :>
On the ground. :D

Gary Herrmann
12-23-2007, 11:39 AM
If you have cherry trees then tent caterpillars cause lots of burls.

Hmm, I've got two. I'll have to watch for them before my wife cleans them off the trees. I wonder if they're the same kind that nest in my crabapples.

Nancy Laird
12-23-2007, 11:42 AM
If the leaf in that picture came from THAT tree, it is not an oak - looks more like an elm leaf.

Nancy

TYLER WOOD
12-23-2007, 4:07 PM
Either way, what ever kind of tree it is. It looks like a burl to me. I would wait until the tree is ready to be taken down. I hate to see healthy trees taken down. Ohhh wait never mind, it's turning stock right now!!!

FRITZ STOOP
12-23-2007, 4:55 PM
I think it is a "gall". Caused by bacteria, fungus, or insect. A mechanical or animal-caused break in the bark layer allows invasions of all kinds. These result in a tumor-like growth of abnormal cells. These are non-linear in growth trajectory and create burl-like, very dense compositions that machine or carve into some very nice things to look at when opened up.
A knife cut through to the cambium layer will likely cause one to grow if you're in a hurry.
My dad was a horticulturist and some of it rubbed off on me, I guess.
:rolleyes:

FRITZ STOOP
12-23-2007, 5:03 PM
I think it is a "gall". Caused by bacteria, fungus, or insect. A mechanical or animal-caused break in the bark layer allows invasions of all kinds. These result in a tumor-like growth of abnormal cells. These are non-linear in growth trajectory and create burl-like, very dense compositions that machine or carve into some very nice things to look at when opened up.
A knife cut through to the cambium layer will likely cause one to grow if you're in a hurry.
My dad was a horticulturist and some of it rubbed off on me, I guess.

__________________:rolleyes: