PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on saw-jointer

Jim Solomon
12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a chance to purchase a Powermatic 66 3hp 1ph cabinet saw and a Delta DJ 20 8" jointer. Both machines are 1990 model years. And both machines where never used. They still have the protective coating on the surfaces. The price is $2250.00. My son in law drives for a moving company and I had asked him to keep a look out for me for a cabinet saw. Well he found these two. The Lady he is moving said her husband purchased them new and while assembling them suffered a heart attack. Unfortunately he passed away later that night. They have been in his workshop for the past 15 years never powered up. She is in the process of moving and her son wants that price for them. He does not do woodwork. Considering I was about one day away from order a PM2000 for $2184 delivered I feel this is a good price for the two machines. Am I missing anything here???? The saw has a beismeyer fence and 54" rails, but I do not think it has the side table. Any/all opinions appreciated.
Jim

glenn bradley
12-22-2007, 1:01 PM
That sounds like fate stepping in to me. I'd go for it. Both are proven machines with plenty of support and parts, etc available if you should require them.

Steve Leverich
12-22-2007, 1:03 PM
The PM66 alone goes for $2500 and up, even reconditioned - so if you want a free jointer, I'd say go for it... Steve

John Thompson
12-22-2007, 1:09 PM
Times a wastin'.... time and a golden opportunity doesn't wait on anyone!

Sarge..

Rick Moyer
12-22-2007, 2:11 PM
If you're set on the PM2000, maybe someone would buy the 66 from you. There are 5 Uniontowns in PA but only one close to me (Northumberland), but I could be interested.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-22-2007, 2:14 PM
I am wondering why you are even asking the question.

Rent a truck give her the asked price and say "thank you very MuSh."

Brett Baldwin
12-22-2007, 2:20 PM
I'd say you are much better off with the two machines for essentially the same price as the PM2000. Yes the PM2000 has a few nicer features than the PM66 but it certainly doesn't make up the difference of a great 8" jointer to my mind. Both are excellent machines in their own right and together they are a fantastic bargain. They probably aren't dedicated 220V but if they are, are you set up for that?

Another Christmas miracle.:D

john tomljenovic
12-22-2007, 2:28 PM
your only a fool if you pass this deal up.

Jim Solomon
12-22-2007, 2:37 PM
My heart wasn't set on the PM2000, my wallet was,lol. I originally wanted a 66 but they are more expensive than the PM2000. I just called the lady and told her I would purchase the machines. I tried to check for cupping/warping on the jointer with my starret straight edge but with the coating on it I don't think it was possible, although I did not see anything that apeared to be out. I knew this was a good deal, but for some reason good deals never seem to come my way so I thought, hmm, I just have to be overlooking SOMETHING, things like this don't fall in my lap. I guess I owe my son in law for his part in this. The lady originally told him $1000 for both, but then her son( a lawyer) came the next day and got on the internet and came up with the 2250. To be honest, even though I am on a fixed income, I couldn't have taken advantage of her by only paying 1000 for 4000 worth of equipment if bough new. Again, thanks for the hand holding and replies. I'll be picking them up on Monday, if it does not rain/snow here. Or Wed. which is supposed to be sunny. My son in law can't get his tractor trailor into her place, but he said he probably can borrow a Van from work, so the weather may have no out come on picking them up. To say I am exicited is an understatment. Im so darn happy I have to sit on my hands to kepp from clapping:D
Jim

Jim Becker
12-22-2007, 8:52 PM
Umm...write the check.

Gary Herrmann
12-22-2007, 9:03 PM
It's still a great deal, even at twice her original price of 1k. Write the check, get your son-in-law to help you get it into your shop. Plenty of folks here have those two tools, so you'll get plenty of help.

Get them all tuned up and then make the lady a nice keepsake box or something like that.

Good luck.

Mark Singer
12-22-2007, 9:26 PM
I had the same duo and built lots of furniture with them. That is very solid , high quality stuff!

Thomas Knighton
12-22-2007, 9:31 PM
It's a horrible deal. Run away immediately.

On a completely unrelated note, can you PM me the phone number and address ;)

Tom

Dave MacArthur
12-23-2007, 3:02 AM
I have the 1989 PM66, and the DJ20. I love them both, good work finding such a deal!

Jim Solomon
12-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Looks like I'll be picking them up on Weds. The only day it isn't supposed to rain here. It might take me a while to get everything set up. But when I do I'll try and post some pics. A friend I grew up with has a sawmill and kiln. He sells me everything(#1 and select) at $2.50 a bf. And lesser grades at $2.00. I very seldom buy any wood at the HD or L's, I can purchase poplar cheaper from him then their twisted pine. I just wish he had a way of coming up with MDF, etc.,lol. Looks like my little deWalt planer is going to be getting a work out soon ;) I was sure I knew the answer to my orginal question, but for me, these things always happen when I'm a dollar short or a day late. I'm quite familar with Murphy's Law, much to my chagrin.
Jim

Jim Solomon
12-28-2007, 6:36 PM
Well I have them in the shop. It wasn't very big before and now looks much much smaller. I paid $2150.00 and the lady gave me a old Montgomery wood lathe, 48" with orginal GE motor and 4 never used Craftsman chisels. The saw still has the cosmoline on it, waiting for the mobile base. Same for the DJ 20. Infact it was still in the wooden shipping crate from Delta. It's missing the handle for tilting the fence($8.20 from service net). And the hardware package for the PM66's 50" biesemyer(gold color) fence is missing. All in all I am EXTREMELY happy. I took some pics. in a very cluttered shop. I want to post, can any one explain how for me?
Jim

Jim Becker
12-28-2007, 7:37 PM
I took some pics. in a very cluttered shop. I want to post, can any one explain how for me?

There is a complete tutorial on posting pictures stickied at the top of the Forum Technical Support forum.

(Congrats on the "new" tools!!)

Jim
SMC Moderator

Mark Singer
12-28-2007, 8:28 PM
That is a fine duo and one I used personally for many years. You will be happy!

keith ouellette
12-28-2007, 8:33 PM
The price and opportunity are great but the story is very sad.

Jim Solomon
12-28-2007, 8:38 PM
I did not notice that. Big help. I had to do some resizing but I hope this worked.
Lathe appears to be tight. I know knothing about lathes, well very little. But that is going to be another project.
The PM 66 isn't missing a handle, I had to take it off to get it through the door frame.
The following are of the DJ20. I am awaiting the mobile bases for both machines due here Monday so I can assemble/clean and then I'll take some new pics. Behind the saw pic, to the right is a cyclone dust collector I made. Works really well.
Jim

Rick Moyer
12-28-2007, 8:48 PM
Great score, Jim! Now, please tell me that YOUR Uniontown is in western PA so I don't have to agonize for missing out on that deal myself locally;).

Bruce Page
12-28-2007, 8:53 PM
Excellent gloat! Brand new, old American iron - it doesn’t get much better than that.
Be sure to get help assembling them!! :eek::eek:

Jim Solomon
12-29-2007, 9:19 PM
Great score, Jim! Now, please tell me that YOUR Uniontown is in western PA so I don't have to agonize for missing out on that deal myself locally;).

Yes Rick, in SW PA. Soth of Pittsburgh<50mi. Closer to Morgantown, WV 19mi.

Jim Solomon
12-29-2007, 9:25 PM
Excellent gloat! Brand new, old American iron - it doesn’t get much better than that.
Be sure to get help assembling them!! :eek::eek:

You can bet on that. Maybe 15 years ago me and another guy, but 56 now and 4 neck operations later just not possible. Thankfully I have two son in laws that drive for a moving company. They got them here. Rick and his buddy picked up the saw while I placed a 4 wh. dolley under it. Same with the crate. Ahh, the old days. I ordered the mobile bases from Amazon. Recieved the PM base in two days, and the Delta is to be here Monday. I'm in the process of trying to locate a motor cover for the PM66. Either that or make one. If I can match the paint. Same for an extension table. I'll make that but want to look for some ideas. One of them being if you drill through the saws extension table to connect or just use the rails. After I get them on the bases and cleaned up and waxed(no silicone) I;ll be giving a shout out.
Jim

Bruce Page
12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Jim, I don’t remember if my Unisaw’s extension table had holes or if I drilled them. Either way, there are holes. I built a frame under the Woodhaven table and bolted it to the rails and the saws extension table. I don’t think you could get it tight any other way.

Jim Solomon
01-02-2008, 8:14 PM
The price and opportunity are great but the story is very sad.
Keith, I agree it was sad. I even felt bad about it and let the lady know. She told me nonsense, Bill would have loved them to go to someone to use the way he intended. Still, I didn't feel better. I wanted to make her something, but she said she would be in Fla. and for me to make my wife something. Everything I build I try and hide a note in it describing who it was made for, the wood, date etc. The first piece I make from these tools will have a dedicated to Bill note in it.
Jim

Jim Solomon
01-02-2008, 8:18 PM

Sorry Rick, I thought I had answered you. Yes it my Uniontown, is in W.Pa. South of Pittsburgh, and about 18 mi. north of Morgantown, W.V.
Jim