PDA

View Full Version : This forum stinks! (with pics :) )

Dave Stoler
12-22-2007, 12:05 PM
OK guys,after many,many years of collecting tools and equipment I recently decided to get the last few tools I needed to get committed (literally ) to woodworking. I decided I,d make a box or two to get myself acclimated to the tools and all.
Well thats after building a bench. So...Back to boxes..How tough can that be? After reseaching here I found it can go from mild to wild..And I like the wild side.lol:D From simple dovetail boxes I have gotten a serious interest in bandsaw boxes . The free form nature and " the skys the limit designs" has me hooked!
My question..I have a older CM 12 in bandsaw / sander..Not the cream of the crop but a B/S none the less.And for now I want to use it to do boxes,unless I find it not capable. The question has to do with belt tension.Theres a scale inside the housing for diffent blade thickness,s.Should I go by that or use blade deflection as you would a chain on a motorcycle? And I kno the blades I have are not high quality..Where do I start in selecting a quality blade or wait?
One last thing...The help and comradre here is second to none.My checks in the mail, I,ll be considered a contributor soon ! :D

Curt Harms
12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Dave
and welcome aboard. Take a gander at this site: http://timberwolf1.com/ There's a lot of info there. It seems these blades don't require fiddle string tension to work well. Tell Suffolk what You want the blades for and they give You recommendations and can make any blade length You need. There are other good vendors as well but I've had good luck with Timberwolf.

HTH

Curt

glenn bradley
12-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I put TW blades on my old 12" C-man and it turned into an actual usable tool ;-) It has now found a new home and the new owner is still buying TW blades. There not that much more than the big box blades and what a difference. The link Curt supplied will help with the tensioning question. If your saw is well tuned it isn't as difficult as one thinks to get a good blade to work well.

Lance Norris
12-22-2007, 3:15 PM
Find a local saw blade sharpening shop. Usually they will be able to make your bandsaw blades for you. I found the blades at the HD or Lowes to be lower quality and more money than the blades from my local shop. Once you have some blades, experiment with different tensions. Usually the scales on the saw are just a general guideline to get your tension in the ballpark.

Dave, after posting this, I see you are from Akron. Cammel Saw on Whipple road in Canton is who I deal with. They have good blades and prices.

Dave Stoler
12-22-2007, 6:24 PM
I was just at beldon village last night...I,ll have to try and find it...
Thanks!!
Whats the take on this saw...Worth persueing or start saving for better?

Lance Norris
12-23-2007, 3:40 AM
Whats the take on this saw...Worth persueing or start saving for better?

Well...Its kinda like the Volkswagen vs. Cadillac. They will both take you back and forth to work...but...
You should be able to do lots of good work on that saw, but a bigger bandsaw, with more power, will do more. If you are going to do bandsawn boxes and lighter duty work, it should be fine as long as everything is in good working order. If you decide to start resawing, cutting green wood, and making thicker cuts, a larger saw will sure help. I think if it were me, I would stay with this saw for a while and polish your bandsaw skills, and you will know what you want soon enough.

Rich Engelhardt
12-23-2007, 4:30 AM
Hello,

Dave, after posting this, I see you are from Akron. Cammel Saw on Whipple road in Canton is who I deal with. They have good blades and prices.
Good info - thanks!
I'm up in Stow, so I'll have to check them out come spring.

Dave Stoler
12-23-2007, 7:33 AM
I work with a couple of fella,s from stow.Ones a accomplished turner.