PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for bottle stopper displays?

Steve LaFara
12-22-2007, 9:36 AM
I've made a few stoppers for Christmas gifts and need some ideas for a display that will end up sitting in the persons kitchen or bar. The display needs to hold two stoppers and I want them to sit on an angle to show off the tops. Oh, and nothing like the clear plexi ones. Looking for something a little more elegant that would be made out of a contrasting wood.

Any ideas?

Paul Heely
12-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Couple of thoughts.

A semi-circular display. Something like this: http://www.cvglassart.com/prodimages/WS-008.jpg

I also saw where someone turned out of wood the top of a wine bottle. Think it was for a craft show that would not allow a real glass wine bottle. Maybe you could turn 2 different wooden bottle tops and put them together to make a display.

Good luck. Please post pictures of what you come up with. I'm looking to get rid of the plastic stands on my display tables and can always use new ideas.

Ben Gastfriend
12-22-2007, 2:03 PM
Here's what I've done...

Get an empty wine bottle, and a block of oak about 4"x4"x1"

Use a glass cutter to score all the way 'round the neck of a wine bottle about 4" down. Crack it so the top part comes off- careful- sharp!

Measure the circle diameter.

Turn the oak block round and use a parting tool to cut a groove the same diameter as the bottle. Use an expoxy to glue the cut end of the wine bottle into the groove.

Put a stopper ontop and display!

You can probably use a router to make the grooves, and make a multi display using a bunch of bottle necks. I'll see if I can take a picture. Good luck

Ken George
12-22-2007, 5:05 PM
Here is a stand that I made. Turned a disk, drilled holes using a unibit, finish sanded then cut it into thirds and finished the cut surfaces. Wood is Narra.

Ken

Les Kuesel
12-22-2007, 9:54 PM
I have used White Birch limbs, cut off some of the bottom to make flat, drill holes at any angle you want. Looks kinda natural. You can also chop the limbs to any size you want and drill in the pith. you could use any wood you want. I just like birch because of the white color.

Ed Davidson
12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Here's a few larger rotating designs to consider: