PDA

View Full Version : Is my CROWN - upside DOWN??

Dale Thompson
02-22-2004, 9:37 PM
Hi Folks,
No! I'm not practicing my new hobby of poetry nor am I practicing my pending confrontation with St. Peter!

I haven't done much with crown molding over the years. A couple of dining rooms, a den and a few furniture items. Coping that stuff is a bit of a challenge - the first time - but, all in all, it's kind of fun! I ALWAYS make my backcuts way too steep but that sometimes compensates for small "fit" problems.

Anyway, I guess that MOST crown is 54 x 46. This says that it will have a "long" leg and a "short" leg. Professionally, does the "long" leg go in the ceiling position or does the "short" leg go in that position? I never really paid much attention when I was doing it. I've probably done it both ways.

NOW! Is that the dumbest question that you have every read on this forum - or WHAT?? :o :o

Thanks,

Dale T.

Keith Zavodney
02-22-2004, 9:44 PM
I prefer the crown moulding to be oriented vertically rather than horizontally. You can always go look at some ready-made corners.

Dale Thompson
02-22-2004, 10:19 PM
I prefer the crown moulding to be oriented vertically rather than horizontally. You can always go look at some ready-made corners.

Keith,
Thanks for the comments. Yeah! I've seen the ready-made corners for crown and everything else. They look pretty nice but, in my humble opinion, they are a real, "pimple on the butt of craftsmanship". :)

I'm not real bright but my tools are good enough to compensate for that fact. ;)

Thanks again,
Dale T.

Keith Zavodney
02-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Keith,
Thanks for the comments. Yeah! I've seen the ready-made corners for crown and everything else. They look pretty nice but, in my humble opinion, they are a real, "pimple on the butt of craftsmanship". :)

I'm not real bright but my tools are good enough to compensate for that fact. ;)

Thanks again,
Dale T.

I didn't say use them, I just said LOOK at them. Not too many houses have 90 degree corners, so why use them???

Jamie Buxton
02-22-2004, 10:53 PM
54x46 crown? That must be metric, right? 'round here, that'd be called 2 3/4", for the edge-to-edge distance, and 38 degrees, which is the angle between the wall and the back of the crown.

The usual treatment of 37 degree crown is that the longer leg goes on the wall, and the shorter on the ceiling.

Dale Thompson
02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
54x46 crown? That must be metric, right? 'round here, that'd be called 2 3/4", for the edge-to-edge distance, and 38 degrees, which is the angle between the wall and the back of the crown.

The usual treatment of 37 degree crown is that the longer leg goes on the wall, and the shorter on the ceiling.

Jamie,
100 degrees wouldn't work at all! I should have done my homework!!

How does 53 x 37 sound? Hey! As my grandfather used to say, "Being stupid is NOT a crime, it's just a bit inconvenient sometimes". :o :o

Thanks for the "long" - "short" comment.

Dale T. :)