PDA

View Full Version : dispozablade

Michael Handrinos
12-22-2007, 4:30 AM
Hi all. Just a quick question. Anyone install the dispozablades on your planer/jointer? If so, do you think the cost was justifiable? It looks like a aggravation, time saver. I appreciate your input

Mike

Jim Becker
12-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Never used it, but if I had a machine with regular knives, I'd likely put the Esta system on it in a heart-beat. Once you have the initial setup done, changing knives becomes very quick and easy. No re-setting.

Steve knight
12-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I tired them and was not real happy with it. the size was not quite right for my jointer but it was not jsut that. that made it hader to install. but I found they just did not cut as well as my regular knives. I do mostly tropicals and that could be it. but they are thinner and just did not hold up. Bryd was the way to go.

John Karam
12-22-2007, 1:04 PM
Replied to your PM.

The knives are thinner and this is was concerns me, so for now I think I'm holding off. I posted this question earlier and didn't get a response, hopefully today more people who know the system are around?

If you are willing the spend the money, I've heard the Byrd system is overall better. Grizzly got them on sale right now, for a 20 inch its $850 oppose to the usual $1200 I have seen. But the install is a project, have to open up the gear box and stuff.

Grant Stevens
12-22-2007, 2:57 PM
I just ordered some for my jointer and planer. I'll let you know my first impression when I get them so that you can decide while the free knives offer is still on...

Grant

Michael Handrinos
12-22-2007, 5:52 PM
Thanks for all the information. The jury is still out though.

Mike

Steve Jenkins
12-22-2007, 8:33 PM
I put them on my 16 jointer several years ago and have not regretted it. I think they stay sharp longer than the regular knives and are definately easier to change although with a dial indicator I could change the old knives in about 15 minutes which wasn't too bad. With the cost of sharpening regular knives the Esta are no more expensive maybe a little cheaper.